The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Using Cocoa's Reflection APIs for Reading/Writing an SQL Database

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Keith Ray

Nickname: keithray

Keith Ray is multi-platform software developer and Team Leader
Using Cocoa's Reflection APIs for Reading/Writing an SQL Database Posted: Sep 19, 2005 11:09 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Keith Ray.
Original Post: Using Cocoa's Reflection APIs for Reading/Writing an SQL Database
Feed Title: MemoRanda
Feed URL: http://homepage.mac.com/1/homepage404ErrorPage.html
Feed Description: Keith Ray's notes to be remembered on agile software development, project management, oo programming, and other topics.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Keith Ray
Latest Posts From MemoRanda

Advertisement

CoreData is probably doing something like this already. If you don't like CoreData's use of sqlite3/XML or being limited to the Tiger version of MacOS X, you can probably use these APIs to implement your own object-to-database mapping. If you want to work with a database schema that doesn't map simply to your classes, look elsewhere. Also: I'm just getting to know SQL-based databases, so I may be mis-using SQL/DB terminology or concepts.

Writing to the database:

1. Call the method "className" to get the object's class-name and map that to a database table. You probably also want to map object addresses to a unique id in that database table.

2. Calls these methods to find keys of the object and map those to column-names (and possibly foreign keys to other tables): "attributeKeys", "toOneRelationshipKeys", "toManyRelationshipKeys"

3. Get values for keys by calling "valueForKey:" or "dictionaryWithValuesForKeys:". There's also "mutableArrayValueForKey:" for dealing with to-many relationships.

4. Assemble SQL from the classname/tablename, key-names/column-names, and values gotten above, and use that to write to the database. You'll probably need to write multiple rows to multiple tables to persist a complex aggregate object, thus you need to use techniques common to object-serialization to detect cycles and avoid writing an object to the db more than once. One of the PLoP books had a good discussion of serialization.

Reading from the database is pretty much the reverse of the above, but getting to the class from a classname/tablename requires calling NSBundle's "classNamed:" method or some other method or function I haven't found in my quick search using AppKiDo while writing this. Once you have the values and key-names, set them with the method "setValue:forKey:" or "setValuesForKeysWithDictionary:".

Cocoa has bunches of interesting methods like "classForArchiver" and "replacementObjectForArchiver:" that are probably used behind the scenes for implementations of Distributed Objects, reading/writing NIB files (in various NIB file formats, which recently included XML, I believe), and more recently, Core Data. Maybe someday I'll get more familiar with these. Oh, I haven't actually done this (yet), so don't ask me for help if you get stuck. :-)

Read: Using Cocoa's Reflection APIs for Reading/Writing an SQL Database

Topic: Tom DeMarco on XP Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Speaking of Worthless...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use