The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Versioning SQL Server Stored Procedures and other db Objects in VSS (Part I)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Korby Parnell

Nickname: korbyp

Korby Parnell is Programming Writer for Microsoft Visual SourceSafe and Visual Studio .NET
Versioning SQL Server Stored Procedures and other db Objects in VSS (Part I) Posted: Aug 1, 2003 1:31 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Korby Parnell.
Original Post: Versioning SQL Server Stored Procedures and other db Objects in VSS (Part I)
Feed Title: Korby Parnell
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/korbyp/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Copyright 2003 Korby Parnell Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:03:48 GMT ChrisAn's BlogX korbyp@microsoft.com korbyp@microsoft.com Alex Lowe Joins Microsoft http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/korbyp/permalink.aspx/536bb108-6a66-4dc6-8847-69f4d799bb55 http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/korbyp/permalink.aspx/536bb108-6a66-4dc6-8847-69f4d799bb55 Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:03:48 GMT From ASP.NET MVP to Microsoft .NET Evangelist.  Success is the domain of good guys.  Welcome aboard Alex.  I look forward to meeting you in person.  Thanks to ScottW for posting the big announcement. Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no otorga ningún derecho.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Korby Parnell
Latest Posts From Korby Parnell

Advertisement

Q: 'How can I backup my SQL Server stored procedures, triggers, UDFs, and other database objects using VSS?'

A1: If you work in Visual Studio .NET 2003 with source control integration, you can opt to install a SQL Server versioning component that allows you to add sprocs to source control and perform checkins, checkouts, and other SCC commands in the VS.NET IDE .*  As Yves Reynhoot says however (and he's right on the money):

"Why people still use this goes beyond me ... Use a VS.NET database project and you'll be able to version every object in your database. The fact that it is a central and consistent solution can only play in it's advantage."

A2: If you're not a Visual Studio .NET developer, the answer is a bit more involved.
VSS is a file management solution. It won't accept nickels, neutrinos, dimes, euros, objects, paragraphs, sprocs, widgets, user defined functions, or any other sub- or super-file items. Since SQL Server database objects (dbos) are objects, not files, the first step in versioning them is to convert them files.

I've seen one script and have heard several interesting ideas for how to version SQL Server database objects using VSS.  None are as automatic or as comprehensive as the one I have in mind.  My goal is to create a script that adds all SQL Server database objects (table schema, stored procedures, UDFs, etc) to a VSS database and backs them up routinely and automatically.

Over the next few days, weeks, or months, I plan--nay, hope--to create a SQL Server database object versioning script on(blog)line.  In airing my unedited thoughts and thought processes in live blogtime, I will probably reveal many of my otherwise hidden technical deficiencies and blindspots. Feel free to ridicule or encourage me, highlight flawed assumptions, correct coding and grammatical errors, propose alternative solutions, and post your code in the comments section of these posts.  If I think your feedback merits more attention, I will certainly post it in the body of a future blog post.  As always, Microsoft and I reserve the right to remove any comment, at any time, for any reason (not that I've ever done so or wish to do so in future). Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

* Fabrice's Blog provides astep-by-step how to for setting up stored procedure versioning in VS.NET.Rosey's Blog, which points to Fabrice's post, provides good background reading.

Il presente posting viene fornito “così come é”, senza garanzie, e non conferisce alcun diritto.

Read: Versioning SQL Server Stored Procedures and other db Objects in VSS (Part I)

Topic: ASP.NET Apps/Domains Crash w/Anti-Virus Loaded Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Apple WWDC Keynote

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use