The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
ObjectSpaces: MS single data access strategy

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Dominic Da Silva

Nickname: dsuspense

Dominic Da Silva is President of SilvaSoft, Inc.
ObjectSpaces: MS single data access strategy Posted: May 22, 2004 7:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Dominic Da Silva.
Original Post: ObjectSpaces: MS single data access strategy
Feed Title: dsuspense
Feed URL: http://tss9.serverconfig.com/suspended.page/
Feed Description: Java/J2EE, .NET, OpenSource, Orlando living, Trinidad stuff and of course the Dolphins!...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Dominic Da Silva
Latest Posts From dsuspense

Advertisement
I read this post on MS ObjectSpaces that makes a very good point, that I believe the Java O/R mapping community needs to read:

"First off, after the MVP Summit, I had a chance to sit down with Alan Griver, the Group Manager for the VS Data team at Microsoft. (He sometimes posts under ?yag?) His team influences data teams across Microsoft, from the VSTO team to the SQL team to the FoxPro team, in terms of how these different d 400 ata systems work in Visual Studio. When I specifically brought up the ObjectSpaces delay and the ridiculous amount of speculation surrounding it, he told me that when he joined the team several years ago, he committed to having a single data access strategy, and keeping it for as long as possible. In every prior release of VS, there was a different way to access data. He said that he wanted change that, and he did, starting with ADO.NET. When Whidbey comes out, it will be the 3rd VS.NET release without major data access changes, and for that we should thank him.

Alan also told me that one of his goals was to come up with a unified model for accessing data across most Microsoft programs. It would be nice, for example, to be able to load up Microsoft Money data the same way you can in SQL Server using ADO.NET. If you put aside the emotion and really think about it for a second, that's one of the key reasons they're putting WinFS into Longhorn, to remove the "program-specifi 400 c silos" that happen in application development today, and allow WinFS to be not only a file storage system, but an information storage system as well. Think MSDE installed on every desktop by default, tied into the OS. Microsoft wants to make ObjectSpaces the way IT'S OWN teams get data out of WinFS in the Longhorn time frame. Now, if you actually, oh, I dunno, READ the news past the headline, you'll see that this is exactly what they said. And for most, normal, sane people, this makes a decent amount of sense."

Why can't the Java community learn from the cohesion that the Microsoft community benefits from.
Considering JDO was aimed at providing exactly what ObjectSpaces will provide, why are some vendors throwing it under the bus for EJB 3, just because Hibernate is a driving model behind EJB 3's redefinition?
Rather rediculous when you think about it.
Once again the community will bicker and split on things like EJB vs JDO 400 and Java will suffer.
Really sad when you think about it.

Read: ObjectSpaces: MS single data access strategy

Topic: High Availability PostgreSQL Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: TeX tools on OS X

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use