The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
TeX tools on OS X

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Winters

Nickname: cwinters

Daytime: Java hacker; nighttime: Perl hacker; sleeptime: some of both.
TeX tools on OS X Posted: May 13, 2004 12:49 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Chris Winters.
Original Post: TeX tools on OS X
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/search/registrar.php?domain=jroller.com®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Java, programming and technology, usually in that order.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Chris Winters
Latest Posts From cwinters.com

Advertisement
I don't know the 'why' of the problem yet but I wanted to post this for anyone having similar problems. Initially I'd installed the 'tetex' distribution using fink, version 2.0.2-34. At first nothing worked -- if I ran pdflatex against some of the samples in the beamer distribution I'd get a completely black slide -- no text, no graphics, nothing.

Later I found the beamer setting 'beamertemplatesolidbackgroundcolor' and set it like this:
%\beamertemplatesolidbackgroundcolor{white!100}

This gave me a white background and I could see text, but the navigation items in the menubar didn't work properly for some themes -- there'd be a block of black where the highlighted navigation item should have been. Finally I found a theme that minimized the faults I was seeing which allowed me to focus on the important part, the content -- content is king, remember?

But as my work on the presentation wound down yesterday it started to bug me again, particularly since I was only able to view the generated PDF in OS X Preview. Opening it in Acrobat (PC or Mac) gave me a 'unrecognized token "gray" was encountered' and another error message that escapes me at the moment. Annoying!

So just for laughs I decided to try another distribution. I didn't think it would actually solve anything since all main TeX-related stuff is so old and therefore wouldn't change much. I grabbed the TeX-fat disk image from a helper site (just shy of one-half the way down) and installed it. Once I reset my TEXINPUTS variables to leave out the fink-tex directories and just point to the items in my home directory (where beamer and a couple of supporting packages were unpacked) everything worked!

Did the fink install leave something out? Did I actually just have something incorrectly set in my TEXINPUTS and coincidentally changed them with the new software? Is it a version difference where an intermediate patch took care of my problem? No idea, but i'm not touching anything untl after the next presenstation...

Read: TeX tools on OS X

Topic: Why is Distributed so Hard? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Voting Continues: Do you own a Java enabled handset?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use