The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Angel ends

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Angel ends Posted: May 20, 2004 6:10 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Angel ends
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I liked the last episode of "Angel" - but there was some oddness there as well. It had a rushed feeling to it - and it felt more like a season finale than a series finale. With the end of "Buffy", strings were tied up, loose ends dealt with, and a plausible explanation given as to why Buffy could take a break from the fight. With the end of Angel, there really wasn't any of that. Oh sure, with the effective decapitation of the Black Thorn, evil was disrupted - and I suppose it's more in tune with the leitmotif behind Angel - the fight is never over.

For me, the biggest loss here is that Joss Whedon is off TV next year - no Angel, no Buffy, no Firefly. The cheesy reality shows rule the airwaves - frankly, I'd rather surf the net than devote even a few minutes of my life to a "Survivor" style show. Ther may be some hope in the SciFi realm - SG-1 is still on (and it's still the best SciFi show out there). "Enterprise" is back, but the problems with that show are unlikely to go away - the writers haven't been fired en-masse yet. Last night's episode was the epitome of what's wrong with the series. Here's the weapon that will destroy the entire Earth - we have a team of marines who can infiltrate the ship carrying it. Do they bring any C4? No. Do they haul over a few nukes? No. They go off to rescue a captured crewman and return. Let's look at the stakes here:

• Fate of the entire planet
  • One command crewman captured

Heck, the original Trek did better in those situations - Spock sacrificed himself to save the ship in "Wrath of Khan" (not that he stayed dead, but never mind that now). I can just imagine the SG-1 team given these options - nukes and/or C4 beamed aboard with short fuses, and the enemy ship disabled or destroyed - but in any case, the weapon no longer on the way to Earth. Someone contact UPN and beat the writers senseless, please.

I have some hopes for the SG-1 spinoff (Atlantis) - but a fair bit of spinoff wariness as well. We'll have to see if they can expand the universe of the show. After that, it's a vast wasteland. "24"? Jumped the shark eons ago - people have probably died trying to wrap their heads around the various improbabilities in that show. There's always "The Sopranos", I suppose...

Read: Angel ends

Topic: Not quite... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ash vs. the bad guys

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use