The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Not quite...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Not quite... Posted: May 15, 2004 3:55 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Not quite...
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Mark Pilgrim covers the MT imbroglio pretty well - but draws the wrong conclusion, to my mind:

It's not about who has a right to make a living (everyone does); it's not about how nice Ben and Mena are (I've met them, they are very nice); and it's certainly not about eating. I've taken the $535 that Movable Type would have cost me, and I've donated it to the WordPress developers.

It's not about money; it's about freedom.

I don't think "freedom" is the operative issue here, exactly. This is a much older problem with respect to a product - appropriate price points. After reading the many, many takes on this (including comments to yesterday's post), I've come to the conclusion that Six Apart probably (it's early yet; I could be wrong) misunderstand the market they are in. Their pricing indicates that they want to play at the low end of the Enterprise market - but that doesn't seem to be who's using their product right now. The problem is, by putting out their product at a low (free) price, they made it very, very difficult to move up the price chain as rapidly as they are trying to.

I have a lot of sympathy for this problem - as a Product Manager, I am involved in discussions over the pricing of our product all the time - and believe you me, it's not simple. You have to pick a price that allows you to pay your ongoing costs, or you don't stay in business. You may have costs that are too high, or prices that are too high - or the reverse. Screw this up and you limit your ability to grow, or grow too quickly without bringing in sufficient revenue. It's not an easy balance, and I think Six Apart is only just walking into this particular buzzsaw.

Read: Not quite...

Topic: Feeling the power Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Humorous Mistaken Identity

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use