The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
How and why I blog

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
How and why I blog Posted: Aug 21, 2006 8:27 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: How and why I blog
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I was asked by our marketing group to talk about why we have the blog site here, and how we got into it. I sent the response by email - here's what I wrote:

We got into blogging mostly by accident. In 2002, I had started to read a fair number of blogs, and thought: "How hard could it be?"

So I created a blog server from scratch, using Cincom Smalltalk. At first, I had no idea how the thing was going to work - in fact, if you go back to June of 2002, you'll see that I set it up as a group blog. By later that month I was the only one posting, and I made it my own.

I started out doing Smalltalk advocacy, but expanded the topics I wrote about as time went by. I also added in other bloggers to the server, and steadily added features to my software to support that. It took awhile, but I ended up building a decent sized audience (10,000 - 20,000 pageviews daily, 4500+ subscribers to the RSS/Atom feeds).

One of the most important things to be as a blogger is persistent and regular: you need to post on a regular basis, and you have to hit within the zone of your chosen topic(s). I avoid partisan politics, because I'm posting on a corporate server. On the other hand, I do swing at IT industry politics and analysts, since I'm working in the field they cover. It took me awhile to figure out the appropriate tone to use - I probably still use more sarcasm than is wise, but that's part of my personality - always has been, always will be.

Persistence is important because it can take a long time to reach an audience: I had something like 12 pageviews a day for months in 2002, and it took me over a year to break into the 100s. Many bloggers give up at that point (and some complain that it's "impossible" to overcome the hold of the "A-Listers"). If you keep at it, use an honest voice, and - most importantly - have something interesting to say - you'll get noticed. My blog gets picked up by Techmeme, which helps a lot - but I had to post for a long time before that happened.

Regular posting is important as well. I regularly purge feeds from my aggregator if there hasn't been a post in a few weeks. You don't have to post as often as I do (I've averaged nearly 6 posts a day, including weekends, since 2002) - but you have to do it. Having a brilliant essay once a month isn't as valuable as having something decent every day - if you prefer essays, then you are probably looking at the wrong forum.

I like to think that this has helped gain visibility for Smalltalk in general, and Cincom Smalltalk in particular. I get links from non-Smalltalkers regularly - which is good, as it means that they are at least aware that Smalltalk is still here. If you do a Google search for "Cincom" , you'll see that 4 of the top 10 results are for Cincom Smalltalk, and that Cincom Smalltalk is the first Cincom product that hits the list. If you Google "Smalltalk Blog" , you'll see that I hit the top spot. I don't use any SEO techniques, mostly because I think they are a waste of time. What I do is post early and often, and talk about Smalltalk regularly.

I've also learned to use my aggregator to search for references to Smalltalk, Cincom, VisualWorks, ObjectStudio, competing products, and my name - which picks up commentary about things I would otherwise miss (and which I often link to). In this fashion, I maintain my position as an engaged member of the part of the technical blogosphere in which I live. I also spot inaccuracies that should be addressed, and praiseworthy mentions that should be linked to. It's all become a major part of my job as Cincom Smalltalk Product Manager.

Comments or emails on this welcome!

Technorati Tags: ,

Read: How and why I blog

Topic: ExtemporarySpeaking Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Planning and plans

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use