The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
An all too common complaint

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
An all too common complaint Posted: Jun 29, 2006 5:57 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: An all too common complaint
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

David van Couvering has two issues with DabbleDB:

I did look at the privacy policy, and I have to admit after all the news of data getting stolen and compromised, it didn't give me a warm fuzzy. No discussion of security auditing; no discussion of how they are securing your data; no clear ability to ensure that your data has been removed completely when you want it removed. Hmm...
I had thought of maybe using it to quickly create some apps for my personal data, but found myself backing off from putting my data on their server. It appears that their focus is on SMBs, but would SMBs want to put their business data online like this? I also found myself not wanting to pay the monthly fee; I do hope they can find another business model that doesn't require the consumer to pay. Maybe they could make it free up to 10MB of data or something. Otherwise I'm concerned that they just won't get the uptick I think they deserve.

I understand the first concern - but looking at the privacy policy, it seems reasonable to me. As to getting data out - not having done more than just look at Dabble, I can't really say much about that.

The second concern is one of those things I find fascinating - the expectation that stuff should be free. Richard Stallman may be happy with that theory, but here's the thing - it costs real money to pay a mortgage and put food on the table. Where is this expectation of free coming from? Maybe developers should stop getting paid - that may be the only way to insert some reality back into the software space.

Read: An all too common complaint

Topic: Weekly Log Analysis: 6/24/06 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Power and Net in the air?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use