The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
post-agilism

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Kevin Rutherford

Nickname: spinach

Kevin Rutherford is an independent agile software development coach based in the UK
post-agilism Posted: Jun 23, 2006 6:38 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Kevin Rutherford.
Original Post: post-agilism
Feed Title: silk and spinach
Feed URL: http://silkandspinach.net/blog/index.xml
Feed Description: kevin rutherford on agile software development and life in macclesfield
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Kevin Rutherford
Latest Posts From silk and spinach

Advertisement

Recently more and more people are reporting unease at what appears to be the entrenched dogmatism of Agile with a capital 'a'. The terms "fragilism" and "post-Agilism" are gaining currency. For example, here is a quick sample of quotes I found in the blogsphere in the last few weeks:

Jonathan Kohl
"I'm a fan of Agile practices, and find I draw on values and ideas from Scrum and XP quite often. However, I have become a process skeptic. I'm tired of what a colleague complained to me about several years ago: "Agile hype". I'm tired of hearing about "Agile this" and "Agile that", especially when a lot of what is now branded as "Agile" was also branded as "Total Quality Management", or <insert buzzword phrase here> in the past."
Pragmatic Dave Thomas
"It’s kinda like ‘My way or you’re not doing it properly.’ A lot of blackmail. A lot of absolutes. And to me that is not what agility is all about, so I pull back from that. I don’t want to be associated with that." (Link via pliantalliance.org)
Steve Bate
"The XP community has softened its claims a bit over the last few years, but it’s generally still a bit dogmatic for my tastes and produces too much propaganda."
Philip Nelson, commenting on a post by Dan North
"Many agile aficionados tell those resistant or unsuccessful at adopting agile techniques that you must adopt all of them and “do them right”, whatever that means, to be successful. I think reality is that organizations need to evolve"

I tend to agree with all of these comments, although I find it hard to be surprised by what's happened. The introduction of agile methods was definitely needed, and was a breath of fresh air at the time. But I keep thinking of the Life of Brian, in which almost anyone can become a prophet, with their own followers who interpret the most mundane things as having religious significance. I don't pretend to understand crowds or group psychology, but maybe dogmatism is just what happens.

Maybe "just" having values is too ethereal. Maybe large groups need slogans and white books and cult leaders and dogma and prescriptions. I agree with "do the thing right" as opposed to "do the 'right' thing", but is that enough?

Read: post-agilism

Topic: Managing Defects on an Agile Software Team Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: A Price Point Too Far...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use