The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Managing Defects on an Agile Software Team

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Dave Churchville

Nickname: dchurchv

Dave Churchville is a 15 year software industry veteran in both development and management roles
Managing Defects on an Agile Software Team Posted: Jun 19, 2006 11:24 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Dave Churchville.
Original Post: Managing Defects on an Agile Software Team
Feed Title: Agile Project Planning
Feed URL: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/AgileProjectPlanning
Feed Description: Thoughts on agile project planning, Extreme programming, and other software development topics
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Dave Churchville
Latest Posts From Agile Project Planning

Advertisement
I've been thinking about one of the under-discussed issues with Agile software development, which is how a team actually manages defects discovered after release.

Much of the discussion has centered around preventing defects in the first place, through Test Driven Development, Customer Acceptance Tests, and other three-word phrases intended to improve quality. These are all extremely valuable, but I've never seen or heard of a software team that didn't let a defect out into the wild.

So, I'll describe a process I've used for managing defects, and I hope you'll share yours as well.

Carl the Customer sends an email with an issue he's been having with the software. At this point, it doesn't matter whether it's a software bug, a documentation problem, or a user error, I just want to understand what Carl is trying to do, and why he is frustrated.

For example, Carl could say "I want to rescehdule all appointments to next month, but the software makes me do one at a time." This is clearly an enhancement to the product in software terms, but to Carl, it may as well be a defect, since he can't do what he wants, and it hurts.

In another scenario, Carl might say "I tried to reschedule an appointment to next year, but I get a message that says Internal Error -376." OK, we seem to have a software defect now. If the software can't handle rescheduling items more than 365 days away, maybe it's just a bad error message, or if the spec says it should be able to anything, maybe it's a true failure. Either way, Carl is in pain.

So my approach is to treat all of these situations similarly, regardless of the label you might apply, "bug", "enhancement", "spec problem", "cosmetic issue", "feature request".

In a typical agile process, there is a "backlog" of features, enhancements, and defects. As part of the plannning process, the Customer/Product Owner/Decider will prioritize the items on the backlog for the next release.

Now, in the case of defects, teams have often resorted to a DIFFERENT backlog of "bugs", and managed it in some other manner. I believe this can be problematic, especially if the Customer is not involved in choosing the priority of these items. Without customer involvement, the team may be spending large chunks of the development budget on issues that aren't critical or destabilizing to the codebase.

Note that I don't consider problems found while developing or testing new code to fall into this category. Why? Because the Customer has already prioritized that new code in the form of a user story, and it's not done until you've got approriate tests that all pass. So we're strictly referring to issues found in the wild.

There is one challenging aspect to this approach. As a developer, project manager, and a leader, I am driven to produce the highest quality software possible. It bothers me to see unfixed bugs in any system I am involved with. But there is a fine line between conscientious quality management, and obsessive, wasteful fixing of every defect that arrives.

As an example, I've had defects on my backlog that become irrelevant when we implement a new feature, or modify an existing one. The time we would have spent fixing those would have been wasted because: 1) The customer wasn't impacted by them, 2) The features affected were deprecated or removed, or 3) The code was replaced by a new approach or implementation.

So it's important to consider the opportunity cost to your customer of excessive defect fixing, and let them be the judge of what's important, with your guidance. Whether or not you choose to fix a defect, it is still useful to try to understand the root cause in all cases - you may be sitting on a time bomb if you don't know why or how this defect got into the system.

As an example, I once encounted a defect that would show up once every 2 weeks in production, but when it did, the system needed to be restarted. This was painful, and we tried to find the root cause, but were unable. After a few months of this, it hurt enough to invest the time in fully researching it. After a couple of weeks of one developer's time during a slow period, we were able to isolate the problem to an issue in the underlying platform software (a specific Java library).

In this case, it was still worth the effort to understand where the problem was rooted, even though ultimately the code was not within our control (we did ultimately find a tolerable workaround). So even though I'm advocating prioritization of defects, some due diligence of the root cause is important so that you can communicate the impact to your customer, as well as gain a better understanding of what the fix would require.

Even within this process, my teams have certainly fixed small problems without prioritizing, but there is a slippery slope here. We were occasionally burned by seemingly inconsequential fixes that changed the behavior of some obscure part of the system, even though all of the tests passed. That's another part of the cost/benefit equation. Fixes, just like new features, can introduce new problems into the system. But unlike new features, which typically just break themselves, defect fixes can break critical existing functions in subtle ways. Although solid test coverage can minimize this kind of regression, it can and does happen.

I believe that holistic management of your backlog, including new features, enhancements, and defects, is the most consistent way to stay on top of priorities, and effectively deliver quality software that meets your customer's needs.

How do you manage your defects?

For more on agile tools and techniques: http://www.extremeplanner.com
(Tags: , , )

Read: Managing Defects on an Agile Software Team

Topic: Adventures in PR Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: May Occam's Razor Drop On You

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use