The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Newsletter publishers feel the burn

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Newsletter publishers feel the burn Posted: Sep 22, 2003 12:44 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Newsletter publishers feel the burn
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
Newletter publishers are feeling the twin burns of virus laden email and spam - according to the latest surveys, 17% to 38% of opt-in email is being blocked by spam filters - and who knows how much is being deleted by overly aggressive client side filters. Steve Outing of Editor/Publisher writes:

Recent studies show that opt-in messages (that is, e-mail that people have asked to receive) are now erroneously blocked as spam by ISPs and e-mail services at rates of 17% (according to a Return Path study) to 38% (Mail.com study). Let me repeat: 17% to 38% of the e-mail you send out to customers who ask for it -- or even pay for it -- does not reach them. Sometimes it gets shuttled into a "junk" folder where it probably won't be seen by the subscriber; sometimes it's just unceremoniously deleted without the subscriber's knowledge, or the publisher's (since the filters often don't send bounce messages that would let you know what's happening).

Of the subscribers (62% to 83%) who do successfully receive e-mail from ethical publishers, there's another big chunk who don't open it. The typical opt-in commercial/marketing message is opened only about 40% of the time, according to the most recent Doubleclick E-mail Trend Report. E-mail newsletters typically fare better, but nevertheless a lot of them sit unopened. As users' in-boxes fill up with more and more junk, it's common for people to simply miss asked-for mail and inadvertently delete it -- or because of information overload, simply not have time to read it.

Don't expect it to get better anytime soon - with the flood of "security update" virii coming at me, I'm in full bore auto-delete mode - who knows how many mails I might have actually wanted have been deleted. Just like the badly behaved child in grade school, the spammers and virus writers are ruining email for the rest of the class. I find more and more that I'm using RSS and IM for communication. Content producers are starting to realize that there's a problem - look for more and more content to move to RSS.

Read: Newsletter publishers feel the burn

Topic: Training questions Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: More signs that blogs are serious

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use