The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Training questions

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Training questions Posted: Sep 12, 2003 4:58 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Training questions
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement
We recently redesigned the training courses for Cincom Smalltalk. I spent a few years teaching the VW Intro course back in the ParcPlace days. The problem with that course was the amount of material it tried to cover, and the amount of classroom lecture time it had.\

First, the material - we tried to cover way, way too much. In an intro course, we tried to take people from no Smalltalk knowledge at all to building a complex GUI and domain in 4 1/2 days. I clearly recall people sitting - eyes glazed over - by mid Wednesday. We got to a point of information overload by trying to do too much, too fast. I don't think this problem was specific to our course - it seems somewhat endemic to the industry.

We had the chance to revisit the material and redesign last year, so I encouraged our course designer to go light on the lecture and heavy on the workshops - I figured that the instructor should introduce the topics, give a brief explanation, and then have the students dive in and get their hands dirty in labs. That's how this new course is set up. Which leads to an interesting dispute:

Some of our European partners and employees have voiced the opinion that we went too far away from lecture and "why" instruction. That was purposeful, but it leads to a question from me - is it the case that - especially in German speaking Europe - lecture based courses that are heavy on the "why" are better receieved than the more hands on course we have designed? I've not actually taught any courses in Europe, so I don't have the first hand experience necessary to say yes or no. Is there a cultural difference here or not? Any and all feedback appreciated

Read: Training questions

Topic: Control: a metaphor Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 24 hour bug

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use