The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
No Fluff Just Stuff was awesome!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jared Richardson

Nickname: jaredr

Jared Richardson is an author, speaker, and consultant who enjoys working with Ruby and Rails.
No Fluff Just Stuff was awesome! Posted: Nov 3, 2005 5:12 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by Jared Richardson.
Original Post: No Fluff Just Stuff was awesome!
Feed Title: Jared's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.jaredrichardson.net/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: Jared's weblog. The web site was created after the launch of the book "Ship It!" and discusses issues from Continuous Integration to web hosting providers.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by Jared Richardson
Latest Posts From Jared's Weblog

Advertisement

I spoke in both Atlanta and Reston's NFJS software symposiums and had a great time. I think I had a better time meeting and getting to know the other speakers than presenting... but presenting was a blast too.

I'm trying to give you a flavor for the types of people you'll run into and get to talk with if you get a chance to attend a NFJS. So here's a quick list of a few of the people I got to spend a few minutes with over the last two weekends, in no particular order.

• Andrew Glover-I met Andrew in the hall on my way to attend a session and we ended up talking instead. If you haven't seen his book Java Testing Patterns, I'd suggest you check it out.
  • Bruce Tate- This very well known author and speaker asked me, a newbie, no-name author, if we could trade books! What a humble gesture. I got a copy of "Beyond Java" and he got a copy of "Ship It!" Thanks Bruce! Btw, Beyond Java is an awesome book. I just finished and will post a review soon. I also had a chance to talk with Bruce, Ben and Venkat on the way to a pre-Halloween party at Neal Ford's house.
  • Keith Donald-Another great guy. We probably talked for an hour before I realized he was one of ~the~ Spring guys. (I am so out of the loop these days!) We talked about the unique architecture of his house, his soon-to-arrive child, etc.
  • Scott Davis-I attended two of Scott's talks (great stuff!), shared a ride to the airport twice, and had supper together. His latest book, JBoss At Work, is the next on my reading list. His talk Testing the Web Tier, Part 2 was full of great tools with practical usage tips.
  • Stuart Halloway-We were practically stranded in the Dulles airport, got to talk over food a few times, and sat on two expert panels. Despite being a Duke graduate, Justin's a great guy.
  • Ted Neward-I got a chance to continue a blogged thread on the use of the term Best Practices. I don't think we changed each other's minds, but it's still a good conversation to have.

I'm just going to stop at this point. The post would go too long if I told you about getting to talk with Dave Thomas, Mark Richards, Floyd Marinescu, Paul Duvall, Ted Neward, and others. Let me just say that attending a NFJS symposium will give you a chance to mingle with some very smart people and potentially pick their brains about the future of our industry. I consider myself very fortunate to a part of the conference.

Btw, those of you who were kind enough to fill out evaluation forms for me in Atlanta and Reston, thank you. I made the cut and should be on the tour next year. I appreciate all your feedback and hope to incorporate your comments into next year's talks.

Read: No Fluff Just Stuff was awesome!

Topic: When separation isn't Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Attention and bingo

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use