The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Wednesday Too

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Wednesday Too Posted: Oct 20, 2005 9:59 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Wednesday Too
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement

After the TeaTime visit, I ended up at the Squeak/Smalltalk BOF. One person stood up at the beginning stood up and talked about how he's been giving Seaside demos around the country, and they're really well received. He's not really a "Smalltalker" himself. He said the hard thing was not the syntax, or even the large class library, but the whole "project flow" process involved with Smalltalk. Basically, image based programming. Where does the program start? How do you "make" it? How do you deploy it? It has been suggested that online "videos" be done for how one does things in Smalltalk. vnc2swf is your friend.

At the Squeak session, Roel gave a plug for ESUG. Wants to get more people, both Europeans and Americans there. Alan Knight gave a plug for Smalltalk Solutions, which is all but confirmed to take place in Toronto this year in concert with LinuxWorld. Lex Spoon showed a bunch of cool tools. One of the guys from Japan showed some cool tile based simulations. Martin McClure showed a recent version of his "Juggling" demo running under Squeak on Linux. I'd seen this before, but this version has evolved a bit since then. Probably some other cool stuff that I missed out on because I was getting ready to run off to the zoo.

The Zoo was OK. About average for OOPSLA special event venues.

Earlier in the day, an observation about Ruby/Rails that I had failed to capture. It was one persons opinion that one thing that definitely set Ruby/Rails apart from Smalltalk based web apps (Seaside or whatever) was that the Rails sites really "looked good."

Read: Wednesday Too

Topic: Attention? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Be careful what you wish for

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use