The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Failures of Advertising

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Failures of Advertising Posted: Oct 4, 2005 2:53 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Failures of Advertising
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

John Dvorak makes some points on advertising's problems - mass market advertising isn't contextual, and an increasingly large share of the market is able to avoid it now. No one has ever really like mass advertising - it's just that now, we have options:

The advertisers should have gotten a clue when, almost out of the blue, full-season episode lineups of TV shows began to sell on DVD. You could watch without commercials. People would actually pay to avoid these commercials. Hello! Do you think you have a problem yet?

I went to the theater the other day to see the trendy film Serenity (I prefer watching movies at home on an HD projector) and had to endure about 20 minutes of solid commercials before it began. So now I pay money to watch commercials? It's offensive.

Friends of ours just started watching "Smallville" - by buying the season DVD's. They avoid ads, and they catch up quickly. I only started watching "Buffy" during season 5 - I caught up via the FX repeats captured on my ReplayTV, without the commercials.

The problem is, where does that leave the mainstream TV industry? Right now, they build shows one step removed from the actual audience - they target the advertisers. However, with the ability to dodge ads on the rise, that model is doomed. I rather suspect that over the air TV (with ads) is doomed - but I don't see targeted ads being the answer. Instead, I think we'll see subscription TV. Me? If I knew I was going to see content from Joss Whedon, for instance, I'd sign up.

Read: Failures of Advertising

Topic: Not quite globalized Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Content Management gets disintermediated

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use