The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Not quite globalized

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Not quite globalized Posted: Sep 30, 2005 1:29 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Not quite globalized
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Joi Ito has some useful globalization experiences to share, from the "sharp end of the stick" perspective - in this case, trying to get a unified credit card account:

I first had an American Express card in Hong Kong, then in the US and now in France. When I applied for the new Amex card in the US and in France, I was assured that my membership date would go back to when I first joined.
Each time I got the card, however, (my French card just arrived) they considered me a new member. A longer term of membership can confer benefits.
When I complained to the French Amex yesterday, the customer service person explained that American Express in Hong Kong is not the same as American Express in France. Funny, because that is not what their advertising seems to imply.

Sounds like some of the large companies out there are not integrated across borders yet. I'd warrant that many aren't integrated within borders yet :)

Read: Not quite globalized

Topic: Microsoft learns to automate testing, but kills their culture doing it Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pop Quiz

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use