The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
The bottom line is always there

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
The bottom line is always there Posted: Sep 28, 2005 6:59 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: The bottom line is always there
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

Kevin Burton has some thoughts on the ping servers out there - sites like blo.gs and weblogs.com, for instance. These sites take pings from blogs and other frequently updated sites, allowing various other services to notice new stuff as it gets posted. The trouble is simple - what's the viable business model for that? With Technorati, it's pretty clear - they use the ping server to feed their other search services, which they are trying to monetize. I'm not at all sure what the business model for some of these other services are. I rather suspect that they are selling information off the back end to interested parties, because there's no other model that makes sense to me.

Think about it - how many people actually go out of their way to visit these sites directly? Kevin tries to relate this to the IDE business, where he says that everyone wants the service, but no one wants to pay. There's some rough similarity there, but there's also a big difference. Unless I'm missing something, no one in the ping business is purposely offering their wares for free in order to drive the competition out of business (can you say Eclipse Foundation?).

The bottom line on ping sevices, IMHO, is that the only survivors will be those who are monetizing their service indirectly (like Technorati is trying to do). Come to think of it, that may not be that different from the IDE space...

Read: The bottom line is always there

Topic: Disparate views on CEO blogging Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Re: Sep. 12 to Sep. 18

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use