The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Naming Conventions for Forms/Controls/Stored Procs/etc

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Samer Ibrahim

Nickname: ibrahimss

Samer Ibrahim is a .NET programmer... I really don't want a long bio
Naming Conventions for Forms/Controls/Stored Procs/etc Posted: Aug 4, 2003 11:33 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Samer Ibrahim.
Original Post: Naming Conventions for Forms/Controls/Stored Procs/etc
Feed Title: Samer Ibrahim's Blog
Feed URL: http://www.asp.net/err404.htm?aspxerrorpath=/SIbrahim/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: The Samer I Warrior on battles with .NET
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Samer Ibrahim
Latest Posts From Samer Ibrahim's Blog

Advertisement

Today, I had a long discussion with one of my co-workers about naming conventions for WebForms in a project we are both working on.  The discussion revolved around the question of whether forms should be named Noun+Action or Action+Noun.  For example, let's say you are writing a contact relationship management WebApp where you have clients who own accounts.  The question is do you name the form where you do the editing of account information EditAccount.aspx or AccountEdit.aspx? 
My co-worker argued the side of the former while I was advocating the latter.  I might not do it justice, however, the basic premise of his argument was that it's linguistically more natural and intuitive to call the form ActionNoun than NounAction.  And while I fully agree that it's more linguistically natural, I think from an organizational and maintenance stand point it's structurally unnatural. 
My reasoning is based on the fact that after maintaining our classic ASP app I soon realized that the noun part is what you are usually updating and maintain when new specs are drawn up.  For example, a new field is added to your account object say for instance inception date which must show up on every account form.  With the ActionNoun convention, I have to go hunting for the EditAccount form which may be surrounded by a half a million other EditNoun forms, such as EditClient.  Next, I have to go hunting for every other form that does any other operations on accounts. 
How do I know how many there are or what they might be called?  The answer is I don't.  It's error prone because a form can easily be missed especially if you aren't simply look for the "Edit-" and "View-" forms.  If a form existed to transfer accounts for example it's extremely specific and I might not think to look for a form beginning with the word "Transfer".  Also, people use alternative verbs whereas usually the noun is defined by the business.  An account will always be an account but I might "edit" an account while you might "update" one (same thing different words).  On the other hand, if the convention is NounAction, I know that all my account forms will be right next to each other and therefore not so easily overlooked. 
I try to use this convention with my forms/controls whether in both web projects and windows projects and also with my stored procs.  Stored procs I try to use the convention Tablename+Operation.  So for example the name of a stored proc to retrieve an account from the Accounts table would look like AccountRetrieve.  Personally, I recommend it because it's easy to find related procs this way using a statement like
select * from sysobjects where name like 'Account%' and type = 'P'
or even
select * from sysobjects where type = 'P' order by name
Someone starting in the middle of the development cycle can easily get used to this rather than looking threw a million and one proc that begin "Get". 

Ok, well that's enough of that discussion for one day but if you have a better way let me know.

Read: Naming Conventions for Forms/Controls/Stored Procs/etc

Topic: Lunch with Bill Venners and Bruce Eckel Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: What's new in Yukon

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use