The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Working with High DPI Resolutions and Internet Explorer 6

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sascha Corti

Nickname: sascha

Sascha Corti is a developer evangelist for Microsoft in Switzerland.
Working with High DPI Resolutions and Internet Explorer 6 Posted: Apr 5, 2004 11:28 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Sascha Corti.
Original Post: Working with High DPI Resolutions and Internet Explorer 6
Feed Title: Console.WriteLine("Hello World");
Feed URL: http://www.corti.com/WebLogSascha/blogxbrowsing.asmx/GetRss?
Feed Description: A technology blog with a focus on the .NET framework, the Visual Studio .NET tools and the Windows server platform with of course the normal weblog-noise on what's happening in the industry and reviews of the latest geeky gadgets.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Sascha Corti
Latest Posts From Console.WriteLine("Hello World");

Advertisement

I really like working with high dpi resolutions. New laptops are all equipped with screens that can do very high resolutions but I always used to turn them  down to XGA (1024*768 pixels) as text gets too small to read on a laptop screen at 1400*1050 or even 1600*1200 pixels.

My newest laptop however has VERY poor interpolation and any resolution below the maximum appears utterly blurry. So I started using higher dpi values (the default being 96) and found myself very comfortable working with 120 dpi. The benefit of this is that the whole UI gets scaled to 125%, which makes menus and non-scalable on-screen-text very readable again, still retaining the sharpness of the high resolution.

Another nice side-effect is that when I do a presentation on a projector at 1024*768 pixels, leaving my system at 120dpi, the whole Windows UI (including Visual Studio .NET that I usually present) remains scaled up, which greatly adds to the visibility of my demos for the audience.

Anyway. One problem was that Internet Explorer 6 did not scale up web sites at higher dpi rates. When I increased the text-size in IE, web sites would fall "out of proportion", as images stayed the same size. I now found the solution in a knowledge-base article (820286). The following registry-key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
UseHR= dword:00000001

tells Internet Explorer 6 to scale web sites in high-dpi configurations. The bad part: bitmap (= non-vector) -based images get jagged when scaled up. But I still like the result. The article btw. also states how to enable high dpi:

1. Right-click the Windows desktop, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. The Display Properties dialog box opens.
  2. Click the Settings tab, and then click the Advanced button.
  3. On the General tab, DPI settings appear in a list in the Display area. To change the DPI setting, select a size from the DPI setting drop-down list under Display, and then click OK.
  4. Restart your computer to allow the changes to take effect.

Read: Working with High DPI Resolutions and Internet Explorer 6

Topic: Fiddler, et al Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Another book of the month, and what's up with ApplicationException?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use