The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Wikis and Accountability

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Korby Parnell

Nickname: korbyp

Korby Parnell is Programming Writer for Microsoft Visual SourceSafe and Visual Studio .NET
Wikis and Accountability Posted: Oct 1, 2003 11:45 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Korby Parnell.
Original Post: Wikis and Accountability
Feed Title: Korby Parnell
Feed URL: /msdnerror.htm?aspxerrorpath=/korbyp/Rss.aspx
Feed Description: Copyright 2003 Korby Parnell Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:03:48 GMT ChrisAn's BlogX korbyp@microsoft.com korbyp@microsoft.com Alex Lowe Joins Microsoft http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/korbyp/permalink.aspx/536bb108-6a66-4dc6-8847-69f4d799bb55 http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/korbyp/permalink.aspx/536bb108-6a66-4dc6-8847-69f4d799bb55 Fri, 01 Aug 2003 10:03:48 GMT From ASP.NET MVP to Microsoft .NET Evangelist.  Success is the domain of good guys.  Welcome aboard Alex.  I look forward to meeting you in person.  Thanks to ScottW for posting the big announcement. Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no otorga ningún derecho.
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Korby Parnell
Latest Posts From Korby Parnell

Advertisement
I recently created an internal WikiWiki for my feature team.*  Initially, it consists of an ever-growing list of FAQs.  I (and hopefully some of my teammates;-), are automatically apprised of changes to the FAQ pages via an RSS feed. Thus, if a user posts a source control question but no answer, we will probably provide an answer within a day or two. Wiki-based Q&A isn't as immediate as a newsgroup response but I look forward to digging into its potential as more sustainable, self-supporting, and search friendly alternative to newsgroups and listservs, which require constant attention by a group of really dedicated subject matter experts.  It would seem that with wiki-based Q&A, there's less chance that a contributor's question will get dropped entirely. Also, as facts, conditions, and contexts change, so too can our content.

Wikis are an example of the new Web, where user interaction and experimentation is encouraged.  One of the things that bothers practically everyone about wikis is the issue of accountability. After a short introduction, most people grok the potential of the wiki paradigm and can understand the importance of extending unfettered editorial power to all users.*  But this question of accountability is really haunting. How can you ensure that one bad actor doesn't sink the ship or somehow harm the other passengers?  How can you stop a vandal before they do serious or irrevocable harm, bringing down the wiki server by adding thousands of pages, for example?  How can you mitigate the risk of gradual information poisoning?  If your wiki admin software supports per-user, date range rollback, who will administer the features and how?

All successful collaborative projects include mechanisms for ensuring personal accountability.  Malicious wiki usage must be deterred, controlled, and its damage mitigated if a wiki is to be useful to a majority of its users.  In lieu of authorization or authentication features, which might be contrary to the underlying philosophy of a wiki (what's your opinion?), how can a public wiki ensure accountability.  The smart folks over at IBM's Collaborative User Experience Research Group have done some research that indicates that there might be a way to spot vandalism on an open WikiWiki like wikipedia using data visualization tools.  VERY interesting.

*If, like me, you're fortunate enough to have access to the hometown domain of the most incredible corpnet on earth, Microsoft's, you can get a sneak peak at our wiki work in progress and several other ongoing projects at http://wiki.

**Why is unfettered editorial power such an important wiki feature? 

Here are my thoughts. Human beings assimilate information (and thus become subject matter experts) most rapidly when we have a chance to deconstruct and reconstruct or--in programmer speak--to refactor. We can sometimes divine how a machine works by simply observing its behavior. We can often do so by listening to a lecture or reading a book.  However, to quickly learn and fully understand how a machine works on a really fundamental level, many of us have take it apart with our own hands and then, if we're lucky, put it back together. 

A concept is like a machine. It is a thing with interrelated parts, a specific function, and the ability to interface with other concepts in interesting ways. It follows that concepts that we can deconstruct, word by word and part by part, are the ones that we understand most quickly and thoroughly. On the Web, conceptual deconstruction and reconstruction have traditionally been mental exercises.  Users haven't been able to easily jump into a Web page, tear apart the description of a complex concept, and 'make it their own'.  So does it follow that a revisable concept, like a machine that can be taken apart, is more likely to be widely understood than one that is not?  I think so. On another level of course, it is a basic human impulse to correct errors. When you see a huge technical error on a Web page, what do you do?  If you're conscientous, you might email the Webmaster.  But what if you could just jump in and correct the error yourself, quickly and easily? Would you be more likely to revisit that Web page?  Perhaps.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Microsoft kann für die Richtigkeit und Vollständigkeit der Inhalte in dieser Newsgroup keine Haftung übernehmen. Este mensaje se proporciona "como está" sin garantías de ninguna clase, y no otorga ningún derecho. Ce message est fourni en l’état, sans garantie d’aucune sorte, et ne vous confère aucun droit. Vous assumez tous les risques liés à son utilisation. Il presente posting viene fornito “così come é”, senza garanzie, e non conferisce alcun diritto.

Read: Wikis and Accountability

Topic: Dogville Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Dubster

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use