The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

.NET Buzz Forum
Fight For Your Satellite Access!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Doug Thews

Nickname: dougthews

Doug Thews is a software developer/manager for D&D Consulting Services with 18+ years of experience
Fight For Your Satellite Access! Posted: Sep 11, 2003 8:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with .NET Buzz by Doug Thews.
Original Post: Fight For Your Satellite Access!
Feed Title: IlluminatiLand
Feed URL: http://apps5.oingo.com/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=netw8744&s=JETBRAINS.COM
Feed Description: A technology blog for people enlightened enough to think for themselves
Latest .NET Buzz Posts
Latest .NET Buzz Posts by Doug Thews
Latest Posts From IlluminatiLand

Advertisement

OK, so I'm in a ranting mood today.

It's been 3 years since this law was passed, but I'm still pissed about it. For those of you who don't know, here's a little background. 3 years ago you could get a C-Band satellite, and subscribe to out of market network affiliate stations. So, I could get Fox in Denver and end up watching The Simpsons at 8:00PM instead of 7:00PM. I could get WPLG in Miami and listen to their sports to get the latest Miami Dolphins news. I could also get other cities local games, instead of what was being shown in Dallas.

The first mortar was fired by the NFL, which realized that everyone was watching whatever game they wanted by tuning into the network affiliate in the city their team was playing. So, they invented the NFL Sunday Ticket and forced the affiliates to stop transmitting games in the clear (but all other programming was still unaffected).

Well, I guess I was OK with that. But then, your government (with the help from network lobbyists who probably REALLY run this country), decided to pass a law that stated that if you can get a local network affiliate signal, you cannot get any out of market signal (via C-Band, cable, or DirectTV/DISH). Well, this F#$&!CKING SUCKS! Now, I've got someone dictating to me what I can see and when. The main reason (regardless of what's being said), is that the network affiliates are scared that you're changing the channel, and they NEED you to watch THEIR commercials! Never mind if I don't give a rats ass about watching TCU play Oklahoma on local ABC (I'd rather watch PAC-10).

Other than revenue from commercials, there's really no valid reason for this. I say that if you want me to watch your station, then either show me what I want, or give me the option to see it somehow. I'll watch your commercials, as long as I get to see the content I want. Kind of what the Internet was delivering, until it went subscription based (see post from earlier today).

Sneaky folks (OK, they're smart) get by this restriction by setting up a post office box in Timbuktu, Idaho - which doesn't get a clear over-the-air network signal. The law doesn't affect that location and the satellite company can legally allow them to subscribe to these out of market network signals. Remember, the satellite company would love to let you subscribe to out of market network affiliates. It's more money for them.

So far, satellite dish owners (DirecTV/DISH & C-Band) have been unable to get the lawmakers to change this stupid piece of legislation (networks are far too powerful in this country). But, maybe someday we'll all be "free" to watch what we want, when we want. Until then, I say that our freedoms are limited.

I guess maybe it's time to stakeout some post office boxes in Idaho ...

Read: Fight For Your Satellite Access!

Topic: NewsGator ad again Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Response.Filter

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use