The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Web Buzz Forum
Top 5 Web Applications of 2004

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Stuart Langridge

Nickname: aquarius

Stuart Langridge is a web, JavaScript, and Python hacker, and sometimes all three at once.
Top 5 Web Applications of 2004 Posted: Jan 22, 2005 4:59 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Web Buzz by Stuart Langridge.
Original Post: Top 5 Web Applications of 2004
Feed Title: as days pass by
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/kryogenix
Feed Description: scratched tallies on the prison wall
Latest Web Buzz Posts
Latest Web Buzz Posts by Stuart Langridge
Latest Posts From as days pass by

Advertisement

Been meaning to do this for a while, after Andy Budd did it.

• Gmail. Like Andy, I think it’s cool. It’s just nice, and easy to set up accounts, and now that Google have opened up POP access and so on it’s much easier to get at your data. Plus: full-on web application with client-side scripting, although I don’t think that anyone would hold it up as an example of how we should be doing this sort of thing.
  • Gravatars. I can’t use them here, because I don’t want your email addresses. I’ve mailed the guy asking for the ability to pass an SHA of the email address, so I can mine addresses from your FOAF files, but no response. It’s just a cool idea, though. Lots of little bits, all fitting together.
  • Bloglines. Fantastic. Switched to it, never looked back. I’ve mailed them a suggestion or two over time and they’ve responded cleanly and well. The weight seems to be hanging a bit heavy on them sometimes, though: too many subscribers?
  • Flickr. I like the idea. I’m not using them myself, nor do I intend to, but they’re doing online photo management the )right way_ (modulo their use of Flash in a few places where I think that they could get away with DOM scripting). Good work, fellas!
  • del.icio.us. I bounce back and forth in my head between using them for my short-n-curly links and not doing so. I think I will, though; it’s just so clean. API, REST stuff, it’s just so obvous in retrospect, which is said about all the great inventions.

Read: Top 5 Web Applications of 2004

Topic: The internet dispels myths Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Am I the only one that didn't know you could connect to gmail with an aggregator?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use