The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Boy, is James McGovern enterprise or what!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
David Heinemeier Hansson

Nickname: dhh

David Heinemeier Hansson is the lead Ruby developer on 37signal's Basecamp and constructor of Rails
Boy, is James McGovern enterprise or what! Posted: Mar 19, 2006 5:06 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by David Heinemeier Hansson.
Original Post: Boy, is James McGovern enterprise or what!
Feed Title: Loud Thinking
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LoudThinking
Feed Description: All about the full-stack, web-framework Rails for Ruby and on putting it to good effect with Basecamp
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by David Heinemeier Hansson
Latest Posts From Loud Thinking

Advertisement

The word 'enterprise' has long been in bad shape, but I think James McGovern just drove the final stake through its ambiguous heart with More Thoughts on Ruby and Why it isn't enterprise ready!

Allow me to summarize a few choice bits from McGovern's incomprehensibly convoluted ranting. You may not have the patience to finish through his tirade:

• Productivity doesn't matter any more (8), but even if it did, there's no way Ruby could deliver more of it because sales people have used the word productivity to lie to me in the past (11).
  • Whatever we're doing now is already the right thing (2) until the big consulting firms tell us that something else is the right thing (3). And they're not going to tell us about Ruby because they can't make money off it (7).
  • None of my fellow Enterprise Architects talk about Ruby (5) because they're too busy to think about their business to worry about new technology (4).
  • All magazines that write about Ruby are bad (4) and all books written about Ruby are bad (1). If other people say they're good, it's because they were paid to say that (12).

James McGovern is an Enterprise Architect, a self-proclaimed "industry thought leader" with a blog entitled "Enterprise Architecture: Thought Leadership". And as if that wasn't enough enterprise for you, McGovern has also written Java Web Services Architecture, A Practical Guide to Enterprise Architecture and Enterprise Service Oriented Architectures. Oh, and he's a member of the Worldwide Institute of Software Architects.

So by Enterprise, Architect, and Enterprise Architect standards, this gent must be the top of the pop. Thus, allow me to make this perfectly clear: I would be as happy as a clam never to write a single line of software that guys like James McGovern found worthy of The Enterprise.

If Ruby, Rails, and the rest of the dynamic gang we're lumped together to represent, is not now, nor ever, McGovern Enterprise Ready™, I say hallelujah! Heck, I'll repeat that in slow motion just to underscore my excitement: HAL-LE-LU-JAH!

With that out of the way, we're faced with a more serious problem. How do we fork the word enterprise? The capitalized version has obviously been hijacked by McGovern and his like-minded to mean something that is synonymous with hurt and pain and torment.

I refuse to surrender to the notion that only software exhibiting those attributes are present in big business. I know there are pockets of resistance hiding in there. We can't just abandon these people to the mercy of Enterprise Architects like McGovern. But we need a word to describe the work and the problems they're facing, which isn't overloaded and distorted beyond repair like 'enterprise' is.

Any suggestions?

Read: Boy, is James McGovern enterprise or what!

Topic: RailsConf Selected! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Cross Platform Ruby DSLs

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use