The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Behaviour-Driven Development

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Michael Granger

Nickname: ged

Michael Granger is just another Ruby Hacker.
Behaviour-Driven Development Posted: Oct 15, 2005 4:07 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Michael Granger.
Original Post: Behaviour-Driven Development
Feed Title: devEiate
Feed URL: http://deveiate.org/feed/rss/blog
Feed Description: A blog about Ruby, codecraft, testing, linguistics, and stuff. Mostly stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Michael Granger
Latest Posts From devEiate

Advertisement

Wow. I’ve only been at RubyConf 2005 for one day here in San Diego, and I’ve already learned quite a lot. Hanging out with some brilliant co-workers of mine, I was introduced to Dave Astels’ Behaviour-Driven Development, a re-thinking of how to look at Test-Driven Development. Some fellow Rubyists (including Dave), of course, have already implemented this for Ruby in the form of RSpec. I’ve already changed my thinking about testing quite a lot since joining ThoughtWorks, but this is by far the most exciting testing-related thing I’ve come across since Test::Unit came out.

RSpec feels much more rubyish than Test::Unit does. It speaks more to the reader about what the intent of the code under test is, reads from left to right, depends on Ruby’s “everything is an object”, and is small and beautiful. Now I just have to avoid the temptation to go instantly rewrite everything I have to use RSpec. Unless ThoughtWorks is willing to give me a couple of months off, of course.

Speaking of testing and ThoughtWorkers: Obie apparently doesn’t think my mock object library is “real”. Damn those imaginary libraries.

Looking forward to Day 2!

Read: Behaviour-Driven Development

Topic: Additional Pick-axe URL Searching Format Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Pauline Marois: victime de sexisme subconscient?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use