The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
IM going away at work, mostly

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Daniel Berger

Nickname: djberg96

Daniel Berger is a Ruby Programmer who also dabbles in C and Perl
IM going away at work, mostly Posted: Aug 29, 2005 7:51 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Daniel Berger.
Original Post: IM going away at work, mostly
Feed Title: Testing 1,2,3...
Feed URL: http://djberg96.livejournal.com/data/rss
Feed Description: A blog on Ruby and other stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Daniel Berger
Latest Posts From Testing 1,2,3...

Advertisement
It seems that the powers that be have decided to squash the evil menace of instant messaging at work once and for all.

Bleh...

At first I was annoyed because I thought it was because due to "security issues", i.e. we've had a few IM viruses get around at work. But that's not it. Nor is it because some folks use an external client instead of the internal one we're supposed to use (tsk, tsk). Nor is it due to any "lost productivity" concerns, or lack of proper encryption, or anything else that might stand out as obvious.

The real reason I'm told is....logging. Apparently a 30,000+ organization generates a lot of IM traffic, and it has to be archived for legal reasons (presumably - I'm guessing). I suppose this makes sense. One can only imagine what would have happened if some of the corporate dirtbags sent to jail recently had used an IM client instead of an email client, and gotten off with a, "Email? What email? Nope, I did not send any incriminating email".

Well, anyway, that's what my co-worker's friend's second cousin twice removed says. On the other hand, it seems strange. Do they have to record all of our phone conversations, too?

Anyway, I've requested an exception (as have others on my team) so we'll see if it's been forcibly removed from my computer when I go into work tomorrow. It's just *sooo* damned convenient sometimes. I'll miss it if it's gone. :(

Read: IM going away at work, mostly

Topic: Why I'll never trust a software RAID set again Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Serving the Citroën

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use