The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Why I'll never trust a software RAID set again

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Samuel Kvarnbrink

Nickname: kvarnbrink

Samuel Kvarnbrink is a sysadmin, teacher and code monkey.
Why I'll never trust a software RAID set again Posted: Aug 27, 2005 11:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Samuel Kvarnbrink.
Original Post: Why I'll never trust a software RAID set again
Feed Title: monkey in the middle
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/rss/feed.xml
Feed Description: Ruby, Rails, Macs, PostgreSQL and life in general.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Samuel Kvarnbrink
Latest Posts From monkey in the middle

Advertisement

I'm writing this as I'm standing in the server room at work, waiting for some stuff to compile. I've just managed to kill a software RAID 1 set, which (oh irony of ironies) I had set up to be safer than plain disks. I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but since I only stored various junk on it I'm leaning towards the former.

The weird thing is that I still don't know what went wrong! The RAID set, which consisted of two identical disks, was ridiculously slow even from the beginning, but had started to cause weird freezes and OS X was barfing RAID-related error messages into the system log. That's not especially unnatural if one of the disks is faulty, and Disk Utility reported that the set was in degraded mode (i.e. only running from one disk). But when I tried to get more detailed info from diskutil, in order to find out which drive that was failing, everything looked just fine! Both disks were OK, and every attempt I did at forcibly repairing the set failed.

I eventually ended up wiping the whole thing, swearing never to trust a software based RAID again, and the disks are now running - flawlessly - as separate units. The only thing I lost was an SVN repo I was setting up, along with a few archived user accounts (that are backed up on tape as well), so it really didn't matter. A bit frustrating though, and definately not what I needed on the first day after my holidays :)

Read: Why I'll never trust a software RAID set again

Topic: The Coast is Clear to Vocally Praise RubyGems Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Nicest Ruby indentation I’ve seen

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use