The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Computational lamentation and a Pimki update (only vaguely related)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Assaph Mehr

Nickname: assaph

Assaph is a Sr Tech Designer, which just means that he draws diagrams by day and programs by night
Computational lamentation and a Pimki update (only vaguely related) Posted: Jul 26, 2005 6:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Assaph Mehr.
Original Post: Computational lamentation and a Pimki update (only vaguely related)
Feed Title: Open Mouth, Insert Foot (Echo Internationally)
Feed URL: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/AssaphMehr/rss
Feed Description: General geekness venting, mostly about Ruby and why Software Engineering != Computer Science, dammit!
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Assaph Mehr
Latest Posts From Open Mouth, Insert Foot (Echo Internationally)

Advertisement
My box at home (on which I develop Pimki) had hardware problems -  conflicting onboard components that  killed it when hitting save on important documents.
So I installed updates.
Which made it worse.
So I uninstalled the updates.
And it crashed during uninstall.
And it never came up.
No GUI No mouse No Commandline No Internet No Email No Air.

It just sat there, with a kinda off-whitish luminescence, the  most miserable blank screen I have ever seen. 

I blame:

• The crappy hardware
  • The crappy store who sold it to me
  • The electrical power grid and nature for the power fluctuations
  • Microsoft (on general principle)
My wife blames:
  • Me

So we've reinstalled the OS on an older HDD (like, really  old), tried to save the previous one (unsuccessfully) and are now  backing up all the important data (did you know that enthusiastic  parents can generate upwards of 3GB of  baby photos in 4 months?). So when we've done backing up  everything (also, realllly sloooow CD burner) and reinstalling  everything from scratch, I'll be back to Pimki development (by  the end of the week, if my dear beloved wife doesn't break my  fingers). 

The obvious solution (get a new one), doesn't quite get past  the "is it really necessary" gate. Well, NOW it is, but that -- as has been so eloquently  pointed out to me -- is entirely my fault. With said extremely  cute 4 months old baby, and a need to move house to better  accommodate said extra-cute 4 months old baby, the new nifty Mac  I fancy will wait a bit longer. 

As for Pimki, I know I should "release early, release often" -  but there's some issues that prevent from usability. One of the reasons it has taken me so long, is that between the two minor versions of instiki 0.9.2 and 0.10 it has moved from Rails pre-0.5 to Rails 0.13 - for me that's the difference between a 1.x version and a 2.x one, as almost everything changed under the hood.

So the plan  is to get the import from older versions working and fix some  annoying bugs and release as alpha - hopefully within a week or  two. Then complete working on the 2.0 features. This is the  list of things that will make it for the beta phase:   

• Todo's will be markable (like Gmail stars)   
  • Bliki interface will be streamlined and entries will be integrated with the global categories/tags   
  • Per-page Hyperbolic Mind-Maps   
  • Glossary items are tool-tipped on every page   
  • Change the in-page categories to a separate tags line   
  • Task time tracker (a la clockworktimer)   
  • Snippets (stuff what ain't a full blown page)   
  • Page templates   
  • Macros and inter-wiki links   
  • Built in help system for all of the above   
  • All the features from Pimki 1.x, e.g. page admin, system admin
  • Other minor stuff I probably forgot

Some of this stuff is already in CVS, in various stages of readiness. If you're brave and want to have a go at testing -  just let me know.

Things for 2.0 final:

• Make the import work seamlessly
  • Move the snapshot to store in YAML   
  • CSS finishing touches   
  • Redo all the release packaging (now that it includes large parts of rails)
  • Much more testing (am doing TDD for this release, but    there's no replacement for extensively playing around with it)
  • Redo the home page

Things deferred to future versions:

• S5 presentation integration
  • FCKEdit integration
  • Native PDF export
Thanks for your support - This is the prefect time to make  suggestions, requests, comments and patches.

Read: Computational lamentation and a Pimki update (only vaguely related)

Topic: A Webmonkey Guy Thinks I Should Write for Webmonkey Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Typo next

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use