The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Ruby Buzz Forum
Junk Science

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Curt Hibbs

Nickname: curthibbs

Curt Hibbs is Senior Software Engineer for The Boeing Company
Junk Science Posted: Apr 18, 2005 12:29 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Ruby Buzz by Curt Hibbs.
Original Post: Junk Science
Feed Title: Curt's Comments
Feed URL: http://www.contegix.com/rss/feed.xml
Feed Description: Nothing fancy... just a place to say stuff.
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts
Latest Ruby Buzz Posts by Curt Hibbs
Latest Posts From Curt's Comments

Advertisement

There’s too much information and, even worse, most of it is bad information. What’s a person to do?

I’m sure that I am no different from the rest of you—I want to be informed, but I don’t have the bandwidth to be an expert in everything. I try to find information sources that I can trust. This is hard enough for political news, but science and health news can be a real nightmare. There is an unbelievable amount hidden agendas masquerading behind faulty studies, and keeping fact and fiction separated can be a daunting task.

To make matters worse, today’s media is always searching for those attention grabbing, 30 second “sound bites” and simple answers to complex questions. These 30 second sound bites then get uncritically repeated so often, its easy just to assume that they must be true and proven.

When it comes to identifying bad science, I really like JunkScience.com (“All the junk that fit to debunk”). Check out their Top Ten ‘Most Embarrassing Moments’ of 2004.

I’d be interested in hearing about your favorite “trusted sources” for both good information and for exposing bad information.

Read: Junk Science

Topic: Keeping in sync with Typo Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: I own a Mac!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use