The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Dinosaurs vs. mammals

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Jarno Virtanen

Nickname: jajvirta

Jarno Virtanen is a university student for life, it seems, and a part time software developer
Dinosaurs vs. mammals Posted: Oct 20, 2003 11:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Jarno Virtanen.
Original Post: Dinosaurs vs. mammals
Feed Title: Python owns us
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: A weblog about Python from the view point of Jarno Virtanen.
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Jarno Virtanen
Latest Posts From Python owns us

Advertisement

This must be the silliest gripe I have, and has got nothing to do with Python, but here it goes. Once a few months I return to Clay Shirky's writing In Praise of Evolvable Systems and meditate its truth. But this minor flaw, which is just an analogy and not there to support the central argument, sticks out to my consciousness and makes it hard for me to just calmly digest the wisdom beneath the text. It's this little passage: "It's dinosaurs vs. mammals, and the mammals win every time."

You see, dinosaurs did not lose to mammals, OK? They just got unlucky.

First, they already showed their superiority by dominating the life on earth for around 100 million years.

Second, the reason they vanished is most likely a hit by a large meteorite. Had it not crashed to Earth, dinosaurs might just have had dominated the life for the next whopping 65 million years.

There is no general "inevitability" that made dinosaurs vanish from Earth, just a pure accident. (That is: mammals wouldn't "win every time".)

Read: Dinosaurs vs. mammals

Topic: Be sceptic Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Another nice Python app: PyTone

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use