The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Python Buzz Forum
Another nice Python app: PyTone

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Sidnei da Silva

Nickname: dreamcatch

Sidnei da Silva is a dirty little brazilian python hacker.
Another nice Python app: PyTone Posted: Oct 18, 2003 4:01 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Python Buzz by Sidnei da Silva.
Original Post: Another nice Python app: PyTone
Feed Title: dreamcatcher.homeunix.org
Feed URL: http://dreamcatcher.homeunix.org/categories.rdf?category=Python
Feed Description: making your dreams come true
Latest Python Buzz Posts
Latest Python Buzz Posts by Sidnei da Silva
Latest Posts From dreamcatcher.homeunix.org

Advertisement
Another nice Python app: PyTone

Two days ago I was looking around to figure out why ogg123 wouldn't want to play anymore. The error message said something about 'oss' not being available, or not being found. So, I used apt-cache to search for things containing oss, and to my joy and happiness, found PyTone. Here's the summary from its homepage:

PyTone is a music jukebox written in Python with a curses based GUI. While providing advanced features like crossfading and multiple players, special emphasis is put on ease of use, turning PyTone into an ideal jukebox system for use at parties.

It's amazing, because I've been looking for a text-mode ogg/mp3 player with crossfading for quite some time, and PyTone has much much more features than cplay. Of course those features come with a price: while cplay was slick, stable and easy to use, PyTone gave me some headache to setup. First, it didn't want to play any file, then I tried changing the player settings, to no effect. Then I restored the settings and magically it started working. Pretty weird stuff. Apart from that, it is a bit slow for reading the mp3/ogg info from the files, which I haven't looked if its possible to disable.

It has a nice way of displaying the library files, pretty similar to iPod, which is quite impressing.

See the PyTone screenshot to have an idea of how it looks like (it's the one at the bottom right), and compare with cplay screenshot (also at the bottom right). Its a world of difference, isn't it? I wonder if its possible to disable some features of PyTone and have it look a bit less cluttered.

Thats it for today. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Read: Another nice Python app: PyTone

Topic: Givin libxml2 some love Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Printing Unicode from Python

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use