The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Why build your own grid when you can use ours for a buck an hour? [read small print]

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Alan Williamson

Nickname: awilliamso

Alan Williamson is chief architect of Blog-City and BlueDragon in addition to his online ramblings
Why build your own grid when you can use ours for a buck an hour? [read small print] Posted: Feb 2, 2005 3:29 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Alan Williamson.
Original Post: Why build your own grid when you can use ours for a buck an hour? [read small print]
Feed Title: Technical @ alan.blog-city.com
Feed URL: http://www.ibm.com/us/en/
Feed Description: (Technical) the rants of a java developer trapped in the body of a java developer!
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Alan Williamson
Latest Posts From Technical @ alan.blog-city.com

Advertisement

I read that Sun have licensed their large Computer Grid to anyone that wants to use it; Jonathan Schwartz reported to have said "Why build your own grid when you can use ours for a buck an hour?". I thought that to be rather cheap ... Sun can only make $24 per day from their Grid.  Thats not going to pay many salaries.

However, I read on and discovered there was small print. It is not an hour of grid time, but the cumlative time of all the processors running your problem or algorithm.  So, a problem that only took 3 seconds to complete, actually used up in total 12hrs of processing time and therefore cost $12.  I suspect somebody somewhere is going to get a shock when they receive their Sun invoice!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4229021.stm

Read: Why build your own grid when you can use ours for a buck an hour? [read small print]

Topic: Eclipse Homepage is trash! Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: My Nerd Score: 99

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use