The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Conflicting UI requirements

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Danno Ferrin

Nickname: shemnon

Danno Ferrin isn't the worst speler you've met, but he's not the best either.
Conflicting UI requirements Posted: Jul 29, 2003 3:34 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Danno Ferrin.
Original Post: Conflicting UI requirements
Feed Title: And They Shall Know Me By My Speling Errors
Feed URL: http://shemnon.com/speling/archives/cat_GUI.rdf
Feed Description: Danno Ferrin's Many Reasons he was a Comp Sci Major and not an English Major
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Danno Ferrin
Latest Posts From And They Shall Know Me By My Speling Errors

Advertisement

Here's another entry in the mutually exclusive UI requirements file:

If all the items in a menu are unavailable, do not make the menu unavailable. If the menu itself is still available, users can display the menu and view all its (unavailable) items. Similarly, if all the items in a submenu are currently not available, do not make the original menu title unavailable. [ Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines (emphasis added)]
If all items in a menu are disabled, disable its menu title. If you disable a menu item or its title, the user can still browse to it or choose it. You should include a status bar message, balloon tip, or other context-sensitive Help support indicating that the command is unavailable and why. If you use a status bar message, display it when the input focus moves to the corresponding item. [ Official Guidelines for User Interface Developers and Designers from Microsoft (emphasis added) ]

What sucks more is when you get a bug assigned saying that your app should behave one way after you've sepnt time explicitly coding it to behave the other way...

Read: Conflicting UI requirements

Topic: SCO Group Pulls a Hani Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: DCT  joins EEBMC Java Benchmark Group-J2ME

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use