The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Bloglines: I'm hooked

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Chris Winters

Nickname: cwinters

Daytime: Java hacker; nighttime: Perl hacker; sleeptime: some of both.
Bloglines: I'm hooked Posted: Sep 13, 2004 10:05 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Chris Winters.
Original Post: Bloglines: I'm hooked
Feed Title: cwinters.com
Feed URL: http://www.cwinters.com/search/registrar.php?domain=jroller.com®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: Chris Winters on Java, programming and technology, usually in that order.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Chris Winters
Latest Posts From cwinters.com

Advertisement

Preface: it took me quite a while to get into reading feeds for blogs (miss author context, miss comments, etc.) but eventually I settled on Pulp Fiction. It was cheap, looked sharp, and allowed me to read entries offline, which worked pretty well when I was on vacation and had net access every couple days or so. I had a few minor interface quibbles -- I didn't like having to focus into the content pane to scroll, why not do it like Mail.app? -- but overall I was happy.

Then Mark mentioned Bloglines some time ago. I dismisssed it because I generally brought in my Powerbook to work and read PF from there. But at my new job I'm in a more secure environment and bringing in the PB doesn't make sense when they've given me another laptop as my main machine (IBM ThinkPad T42). Reading blogs once a day got me in the hole pretty quickly.

Then I saw a link -- maybe from Udell's recent articles? -- refreshing my memory about Bloglines. A few clicks and I had an account. Next, importing my existing feedlist was a piece of cake -- out of PF into OPML then into Bloglines -- and just like that I was up and running. Nice. You can see my feeds here, although they're not yet organized into folders.

My only concerns are a) offline reading and b) uptime/performance. There's probably an offline reader already (if only thru screen scraping). And it's such a valuable service that I can see them charging to meet bandwidth/hardware needs. I'd gladly pony up some bucks.

Read: Bloglines: I'm hooked

Topic: Graph Paging Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: new Struts, new Tomcat, new everything?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use