The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
new Struts, new Tomcat, new everything?

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
new Struts, new Tomcat, new everything? Posted: Sep 1, 2004 7:34 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: new Struts, new Tomcat, new everything?
Feed Title: Marc's Java Blog
Feed URL: http://www.logemann.org/day/index_java.xml
Feed Description: Java related topics for all major areas. So you will see J2ME, J2SE and J2EE issues here.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Marc's Java Blog

Advertisement

Today my RSS Reader spit out new versions of popular projects like Struts and Tomcat. I use both of them in many projects and was excited to see the massive enhancements, massive because Tomcat made quite a big version step and Struts released a version after a long time of nothing. So i read the release notes and qickly get dissapointed.

Lets get to Tomcat first. It now runs on JDK 1.5, ok, this is useful if you allready use 1.5 features, i dont do that yet, so no winner for me. Jasper now uses EclipseJDT for compiling JSP pages, which means i can get along without a JDK. This is indeed a neat feature, but will only bring some smiles to the faces of the deployer / admin guys. But i am wondering why the compiler will only be included in the binary versions, is there some kind of closed source issue or is it just for the sake of simplicity, because most people cant compile C sources? I dont know. The other changes are not too spectacular and i hope the 5.5 release will bring more than just J2SE 5.0 and Eclise Compiler stuff.

Struts 1.2.2 (why not 1.2 or 1.3. but 1.2.2?) seems to be a refactoring release, most of the stuff in the release notes seem deletions and movements of packages. But dont get me wrong, i like deleting things that are deprecated for ages, look at the Date() Nightmare to see what can happen if you dont delete things. I also appreciate the deletion of DataSources, i mean, who need a Generic Struts DataSource. If i need one, i will grab one of my DB vendor or DBCP if i need vendor neutral pooling. The Validator enhancements are also neat but why Maven is again creeping into a project puzzles me. It seems that i am the only one (despite of the bileblogger) who just dont like this project and their overall idea.

After all, i thought that after this long release cycle that there can be more discovered in Struts, but 1.1 was not so bad, so that it must be this way perhaps, but i am missing some real "new" features.

Read: new Struts, new Tomcat, new everything?

Topic: Terms Of Use - To help us create a "better online experience" for our visitors we... Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: No Comment for Me? No Checkin for You.

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use