The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Fedora Core 2, nVidia GeForce 4 MX, Windows 2000 Dual Boot, ...

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Fedora Core 2, nVidia GeForce 4 MX, Windows 2000 Dual Boot, ... Posted: May 24, 2004 11:11 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Fedora Core 2, nVidia GeForce 4 MX, Windows 2000 Dual Boot, ...
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

I installed Fedora Core 2 on my workstation last night. I did a reinstall rather than an upgrade. I also took the opportunity to reinstall my Windows 2000 on the other side of the reboot (A Windows Update hosed my Windows 2000 installation 83 days ago).

Both went smoothly. The Windows 2000 installation took longer (3 hours) than the FC2 installation (50 minutes), just like the last time. This time I kept the NTFS partition on the primary master (first) hard drive that Windows 2000 required, even though I'm installing Windows on primary slave (second) hard drive.

I've heard warnings about FC2 messing up Windows 2000/XP dual boot on O'Reilly Weblogs and Slashdot. I did receive a warning during the FC2 installation informing me that there's something wrong with my partition table. But the message also mentioned that the problem is fixable after the installation. It turned out that my system dual boots just fine.

I've also heard that the nVidia driver is not compatible with FC2's kernel. But I'm less concerned about that because I don't play games on my machine. The stock nVidia driver that comes with FC2 works just fine for my nVidia GeForce 4 MX card.

All in all, a very smooth process. I'm sticking with Fedora Core:

• 06/23/2004: Installed Fedora Core 2

But of course YMMV.

Read: Fedora Core 2, nVidia GeForce 4 MX, Windows 2000 Dual Boot, ...

Topic: From Free Prize Inside Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Generics in Java Are Evil?

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use