The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Liberating XDoclet from grunt code generation

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Norman Richards

Nickname: orb

Norman Richards is co-author of XDoclet in Action
Liberating XDoclet from grunt code generation Posted: May 13, 2004 11:20 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Norman Richards.
Original Post: Liberating XDoclet from grunt code generation
Feed Title: Orb [norman richards]
Feed URL: http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java?flav=rss
Feed Description: Monkey number 312,978,199
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Norman Richards
Latest Posts From Orb [norman richards]

Advertisement

Although XDoclet can be used for quite a variety of code generation tasks, there is no denying the XDoclet's biggest niche has been doing the grunt code generation necessary to make the heavy EJB framework usable. That's been a noble call, but with EJB3 the need for most of what XDoclet does for EJB goes away.

What will become of XDoclet? It's quite hard to say. I'm mostly excited by the possibility of liberating XDoclet from the rather menial EJB tasks it does now and letting it move on to more interesting tasks. I think the most interesting EJB task is value object creation. That is one of the few tasks where XDoclet actually needs to apply some real domain knowledge to the task - change detection, data transfer to/from the bean, etc... If we didn't have to spend all our time generating all those interfaces and other silly things, then XDoclet could easily start doing more interesting things. Code generation is very powerful, but we only get a tiny glimpse of that with XDoclet. On the other hand, stripped of it's most compelling application, will XDoclet have the momentum to get to that point?

Of course, I'm not completely convinced that EJB3 really will eliminate all of XDoclet's EJB niche. You can't do away with deployment descriptors or deployment information without some nasty side effects. I'll comment on that another day though.

Read: Liberating XDoclet from grunt code generation

Topic: JDO vs. EJB 3 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Classloading and Classloaders !!!

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use