The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
M$ Mobilizes its Minions Again

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Russell Beattie

Nickname: rbeattie

Russell Beattie is a Mobile Internet Developer
M$ Mobilizes its Minions Again Posted: Dec 29, 2003 8:25 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Russell Beattie.
Original Post: M$ Mobilizes its Minions Again
Feed Title: Russell Beattie Notebook
Feed URL: http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/rss.jsp?q=java,code,mobile
Feed Description: My online notebook with thoughts, comments, links and more.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Russell Beattie
Latest Posts From Russell Beattie Notebook

Advertisement

This passed through my aggregator today:
Microsoft® Mobile Developer Conference 2004

Microsoft Mobile DevCon is the premier developer event for building and bringing to market mobile applications, content and services for the Windows Mobile and Windows platforms.

This is a must attend event for developers seeking knowledge about the latest platform advances for mobile technologies, including Windows Mobile-based Pocket PCs and Smartphones, .NET Compact Framework, SQL Server CE, ASP.NET, and MapPoint Location Server and other mobile technologies.

Hear from Microsoft Chairman and Chief Software Architect Bill Gates about Microsoft's new mobile technologies and long-term development strategies for mobile applications and devices.

This is the event that I saw last year that first got me aware of Bill Gates' incredibly long range thinking. I watched the streaming video of Bill show some neat new devices and talk about things to come in 5 years and how M$-based mobile products would leverage back-end M$ infrastructures to better meet customer demand. It was the video with the Pepsi's mobile rollout, etc.

You know this year since the borg finally has some decent phones in production (or will be by the time March rolls around), they'll be stressing cellular technologies above all else with Windows Mobile 2003, .Net Compact, and the various Microsoft mobile phones all integrating seamlessly (or at least it will look like it in the demos) with Exchange and SQL Server in the Back Office.

It's interesting to see how they are integrating with MapPoint - that's a killer web service that Microsoft has and it looks like they're going to be using it as a lynchpin for mobile development. (The conference is "sponsered by" Mappoint).

May I say again, how nice it would be for Sun and Symbian to be holding this sort of high-profile event? Yes, I know the Symbian Exposium has technical sessions and JavaOne has many mobile-oriented sessions as well. However... compare those efforts to this from Microsoft (80+ technical sessions) and I think you'll agree with me that there's a need there for a separate, highly technical mobile-dev event which both teaches, inspires and organizes from either of those companies, no?

Anyways, as always, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

-Russ

Comment

Read: M$ Mobilizes its Minions Again

Topic: WSDL and rpc/enc vs. doc/lit Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Getting MIME types with java.net.FileNameMap

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use