The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Google Chrome: The Evaluation Period Commences

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Weiqi Gao

Nickname: weiqigao

Weiqi Gao is a Java programmer.
Google Chrome: The Evaluation Period Commences Posted: Sep 4, 2008 7:01 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Weiqi Gao.
Original Post: Google Chrome: The Evaluation Period Commences
Feed Title: Weiqi Gao's Weblog
Feed URL: http://www.weiqigao.com/blog/rss.xml
Feed Description: Sharing My Experience...
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Weiqi Gao
Latest Posts From Weiqi Gao's Weblog

Advertisement

This is unreal. I mean the Google Chrome debut, not the Sarah Palin nomination. The first hint of the latest Google beta came to me via a Wall Street Journal email tech alert:

Jessica E. Vascellaro and Robert A. Guth reporting for wsj.com: Google Inc. plans to introduce its own Web browser, the latest twist in its battle with Microsoft Corp. over key Internet technologies.

Then came a full two days of media buzz around the thing, complete with a, get this, leaked comic book that include real life characters (I recognized Dion Almaer and Chris DiBona before I read the captions.)

That was followed by the anticipation evoked by a count down clock on the official download page. "In 11 hours" it said.

I sat there clicking the "refresh" button on my Firefox 3.0.1 browser until "In 10 hours" showed up. Wow, a brand new browser, I thought.

The final download order came in the form of a tweet:

dshaw, 02:01 PM September 02, 2008: Check out: http://www.google.com/chrome/ Cranking up an XP VM to check out Chrome.

That's when I downloaded the thing and installed it.

I don't know what this means yet. But I'm going to do some real life evaluation of this browser in the next month or so. I went to the "Set program access and defaults" menu and made Google Chrome my default web browser, *and turned off access to IE7 and FF3* (and Safari3, but Sarafi3 refused to be turned off).

Expect a usability report in about four to eight weeks.

Read: Google Chrome: The Evaluation Period Commences

Topic: For Copiz turn off Xcompmgr Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Ben Gardner has psoted Uncrustify 0.49, an open source, command line beautifier for C, C++, C#,...

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use