The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Method Chaining

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Brian McCallister

Nickname: frums

Brian McCallister is JustaProgrammer who thinks too much.
Method Chaining Posted: Feb 27, 2008 1:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Brian McCallister.
Original Post: Method Chaining
Feed Title: Waste of Time
Feed URL: http://kasparov.skife.org/blog/index.rss
Feed Description: A simple waste of time and weblog experiment
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Brian McCallister
Latest Posts From Waste of Time

Advertisement

A coworker commented to me today "what's up with all these libraries that encourage method chaining? ;-)" when we were talking about FEST. To stay in context, we are talking about this kind of thing:

assertThat(yoda).isInstanceOf(Jedi.class)
                .isEqualTo(foundJedi)
                .isNotEqualTo(foundSith);

This, of course, has also been called nice things like "train wreck" and is frequently seen to be a brittleness inducer in code. On the other hand, I encourage the heck out of it in libraries I write, from jDBI for example:

handle.prepareBatch("insert into something (id, name) values (:id, :name)")
        .add(1, "Brian")
        .add(2, "Keith")
        .add(3, "Eric")
        .execute();

On yet another hand, I pointed out that it was a bad practice to someone in a code review just last week. So, when is it a good fluent interface, and when is it a train wreck? Good question. My first reaction is "I know it when I see it" but that isn't very useful. So, to take a stab at a description...

Method chaining makes a good interface when the chained methods all come from the same module, are part of the published API, and when taken together represent a single logical action. In the first example, they are all on the published interface of FEST-Assert and are asserting that yoda is correct. In the second, they all come from the published interfaces of jDBI and form one batch statement.

For a negative example, let's take data access traversal:

yoda.getMidiclorians().getForce().getDarkSide().getLightningFromFingers();

Here, even if the interfaces for all the intervening classes are in the same module, and are very stable, it sure as heck isn't a single logical unit.

Anyway, gotta run, lunch is done. If I think of a better way to describe it will do so this evening!

Read: Method Chaining

Topic: Shipping software part 2 Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Apache MINA - nice !

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use