The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Brain Surgery Pt.6 - The different Twins

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Wolf Paulus

Nickname: wolfpaulus

Wolf Paulus is an experienced software developer focusing on Java, XML, Mac OS X, wireless/mobile ..
Brain Surgery Pt.6 - The different Twins Posted: Jun 2, 2007 1:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Wolf Paulus.
Original Post: Brain Surgery Pt.6 - The different Twins
Feed Title: Wolf's Web Journal
Feed URL: http://wolfpaulus.com/feed/
Feed Description: Journal - dedicated to excellence, and motivated by enthusiasm to trying new things
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Wolf Paulus
Latest Posts From Wolf's Web Journal

Advertisement
DDR and especially DDR2 SODIMM memory became recently somewhat affordable, allowing for another episode of the Brain-Surgery series.
This time it was the different twins that were due for an significant RAM increase. The different twins are our two Mac minis; there is Tom's 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 based Mac mini and 1.5GHz Intel Core Solo based Mac mini that's mostly used as a TV-Internet Connector, which setup and purpose I had described back in October 2006 in Subscription TV.

Usually, I get memory upgrades for Macs from either Crucial or Ramjet directly. However, this time I got a way better deal at Mwave.com for the same Crucial Memory.

Intel based Mac Mini opened

Upgrading the Intel-based Mac Mini to 2GB RAM

• Upgrading here means replacing 200 PIN SODIMMs:
    Two Micron 256MB DDR2 667 CL5 (PC2-5300S-555-12-C0) modules were replaced by two Micron 1GB DDR2 667 CL5 modules: CT12864AC667
  • There are a couple really useful sites that explain in much detail how to open the Mini, OWC even posted a video, showing how to disassemble the Intel-based Mac mini.
    However, I had some trouble removing the WIFI-antenna, which didn't work as explained elsewhere. The antenna is spring-loading and kept in place by two black plastic posts. Squeezing the posts towards each other only slightly, releases the antenna-board immediately.
    The whole procedure only took about 15 minutes, which already included using about half a can compressed to clean the device. On the other hand, upgrading the memory certainly is the easiest upgrade one can perform and I imaging that replacing harddrive or CPU may be a little more challenging.

Intel based Mac Mini opened

Upgrading Tom's PowerPC G4 based Mac mini to 1GB

• Here again, upgrading means replacing, this time a single 184 PIN DDR SDRAM:
    A single 512MB PC3200 CL3 module was replaced by a Micron 1GB DDR PC3200 CL=3 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC module: CT12864Z40B
  • Opening the older Mini seemed a little harder but once the case was opened, replacing the memory module was very easy, no other components needed to be removed or disconnected.
    Again, with cleaning, the whole procedure took less than 15 minutes.

Here are the previous episodes of this never ending brain surgery series ...

1. G5's memory upgrade
  2. iBook 1.2GHz memory upgrade
  3. 1.67 GHz 15" PowerBook 1GB DDR-2 memory upgrade
  4. 2nd Harddrive for the G5 • Seagate Barracuda 250 GB SATA drive
  5. Final voluntary "brain surgery" performed on the aging Power Mac G5
  6. Brain Surgery Pt.6 - The different Twins a.k.a. Mac minis

Read: Brain Surgery Pt.6 - The different Twins

Topic: Why java developers fear Ext JS Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic:

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use