The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Why java developers fear Ext JS

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Marc Logemann

Nickname: loge

Marc Logemann is founder of www.logentis.de a Java consultancy
Why java developers fear Ext JS Posted: May 25, 2007 5:51 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Marc Logemann.
Original Post: Why java developers fear Ext JS
Feed Title: Logemann Blog
Feed URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/LogemannBlog
Feed Description: Marc Logemann's thoughts on java and other stuff
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Marc Logemann
Latest Posts From Logemann Blog

Advertisement

When we speak of beautiful widget libraries, we should not mention any java based framework like wicket or MyFaces or something. They all mainly concentrate on supplying a good web framework and offer some components to use but we dont get much help when it comes to building nice forms for example.

On the other side of the river we have javascript frameworks like Ext JS. When you look at their sample pages, you are just blown away how nice all this looks. Look at the form example for instance. Its just nice. But the love story of Ext JS ends very soon when java developers will check the source for the example, like the one for the form. In case of wicket or JSF, its impossible to combine those technologies elegantly with Ext JS. The idiom that a form field directly corresponds to a pojo attribute is not working anymore. Instead you end up writing JSON communication classes and do a lot of stuff which comes for free with major java web frameworks.

I bet as soon as you start using Ext JS, sooner or later you will throw away your java IDE debugger because you dont need it anymore and start being active comitter to Firebug because this is the main tool you are using sooner or later. No matter how cool those hughe JS libraries are, i will not give up my architectural principles and my focus on maintainability.

Read: Why java developers fear Ext JS

Topic: TAO DDS 0.12 Released Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Land's End and Sutro Baths

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use