The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
Just what we need - slower MIDlets

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
a san juan

Nickname: kalimantan

asj is a molecular biologist who got stuck writing java.
Just what we need - slower MIDlets Posted: Sep 4, 2003 11:17 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by a san juan.
Original Post: Just what we need - slower MIDlets
Feed Title: small devices in my dandelion patch
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: J2ME, emergent software and other tiny things.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by a san juan
Latest Posts From small devices in my dandelion patch

Advertisement

Here's another Java-wannabee that promises it is an operating system "capable of running Windows, Linux, Palm and Java applications" on mobile devices. Uh...HELLLLLLOOOOOOOOO...is there actually a market for this? As far as I can tell, this space has already been taken at the application development level by MIDP.

And btw, it's not like there aren't enough detractors of J2ME already who seem to think java apps on mobiles are way too slow. Adding another layer of complexity to devices that can barely handle the current load may not be a good idea.

The only interesting thing I can see is the fact that it looks like the guts of the apps running on this platform will actually be running on a central server (see quotes below). Now this is something that will tickle the pleasure center of any network operator - think of all that wasted bandwidth as the local apps keep clinging to the MXI server.

Radixs says its MXI OS is capable of running the applications on mobile devices. The MXI OS Platform, which resides on the device, uses what Radixs calls a Single Operating Layer Architecture (SOLA) and establishes a connection to the MXI Server for multi-media playback and web content browsing. The MXI Server is hosted and deployed by the wireless service operator, and centrally executes Windows, Linux, Palm and Java applications.

Read: Just what we need - slower MIDlets

Topic: Why doesn't Java.net use Roller Weblogger (Freeroller.net)? Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Perl replacement for Ant

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use