The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
How I learned to code, and how I forgot it

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Villela

Nickname: cvillela

Carlos Villela is a Java developer working mostly with web technologies and AOP.
How I learned to code, and how I forgot it Posted: Sep 3, 2003 11:14 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Villela.
Original Post: How I learned to code, and how I forgot it
Feed Title: That's sooo '82!
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/rss/cv?catname=Technical
Feed Description: Carlos Villela's weblog. Everyday life, everyday software development, everyday musings.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Villela
Latest Posts From That's sooo '82!

Advertisement
After reading Alan Green's post about his C64, I thought I should show some little bit of history to y'all. So, with no further ado, my 1988 CAF SuperLite 8086 laptop:

I just took this picture. It still works, even after a childhood and a teen-age of abuses by my part ("Is it 220 or 110 volts? Aw, screw it, just plug it in, I wanna play Block-Out!" was one of the worst sentences this poor little laptop ever had to endure). My granpa gave it to me as a Christmas gift in 1988. I was...hmm, 6 years old. Obviously, this was quite an expensive toy (I think he paid something like USD 2,500) for a six-year-old child, so he came up with the excuse that he needed to work while on travel - at the time, he used to travel a lot for meetings, yeah, but he never, ever, took this laptop with him.

See the two big scars in the lid? Yeah, man, this veteran has got stories to tell. I used to write my diaries on it, and I think I still have them on a floppy lost in my room somewhere. This, and, of course, play silly DOS games. Lemmings, Block-Out, Maniac Mansion, GP, Life and Death... damn, those were the times...

Speaking of DOS, this baby has MS-DOS 3.31 built into its ROM. If something bad happened with your boot, you could just boot with the ROM DOS and have a chance to fix it - no need for those pesky boot floppies. Oh, floppies, floppies... who would thought they would be so small in '88? I clearly remember going to something like 3 or 4 computer supply stores trying to find a 10-pack of 3 1/2" disks, and giving up, disappointed, because all these stores had were 5 1/4" and Epson LX-series ink ribbons and special paper. I was happy, though - I was assured that I had the best of breed in technology in my hands.

I compare this to my actual laptop, and I really don't know how I managed to get so much out of that little oldie. When sometimes I feel an urge to curse Eclipse or Ant for being slow, I think about the old days, when I was reading all I could about x86 assembly cause it had no compilation step to bother me. Today Rhino is my preferred interpreter shell...DEBUG was more than enough then. 80x25 was roomy, now even 1280x1024 bothers me. Today I have almost the same amount of cache in the processor than I had RAM back in the day. Today I can stuff almost 3 times the hard-drive (used to call it winchester, remember that?) of my 8086 into my digital camera's memory stick.

But still, this VAIO I'm using to write this post takes up to 5 minutes to boot completely. The SuperLite took seconds.

Read: How I learned to code, and how I forgot it

Topic: Oracle Pro*C to Java Conversion Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: 3D GameEngine Math

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use