The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
What it takes to go from Process Manager to "Java Everywhere Architect" (JEA)

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
a san juan

Nickname: kalimantan

asj is a molecular biologist who got stuck writing java.
What it takes to go from Process Manager to "Java Everywhere Architect" (JEA) Posted: Aug 24, 2003 11:04 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by a san juan.
Original Post: What it takes to go from Process Manager to "Java Everywhere Architect" (JEA)
Feed Title: small devices in my dandelion patch
Feed URL: http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=®istrar=sedopark
Feed Description: J2ME, emergent software and other tiny things.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by a san juan
Latest Posts From small devices in my dandelion patch

Advertisement

I must admit, I am a sucker for marketing hype.

So when Sun declared that the rallying cry in JavaONE would be "Java Everywhere!" I replied: "Hallelujah! Pass the smartphone, please, but hold the mustard!", which did not make a whole lot of sense, but it did show others how enthusiatic I was about the whole thing.

Well, before I make my spiel, let's do some definitions.

"Java Everywhere" has been defined as a single-architecture, end to end solution. The Java platforms on the server side (J2EE), client side (J2SE), and small devices (J2ME) share the same basic language features, API designs, libraries, and even development tools. The value proposition of Java Everywhere is to maximize productivity and allow existing Java developers to enter emerging markets without extensive retraining.

In a recent entry I suggested that, with J2ME emerging as the de facto standard for small devices, it is time for Java developers to start considering enterprise (and other) solutions in terms of not just server-side applications, but as full-fledged systems that encompass server-side, desktop, and mobile components.

For example, a portfolio tracking system should not just have serverside and desktop components, but should at least be extensible enough to incorporate mobile components if needed. A user can access his or her financial information not just from a desktop (with real time data provided by applets, for example), but from a Palm device, smartphone, RIM Blackberry, or any other mobile device.

Determined to put this concept into action, I proposed several possible additions to our company's web apps that would extend their reach to mobile workers in the field. Surprisingly enough, they were greeted with enthusiasm, and we are now field testing the system.

Well, now to the spiel: I used to be known as an Enterprise Solutions Architect at work, a jargon that I loved dearly because it made me feel I was actually doing something meaningful (rather than just planning enterprise apps and checking on the work of other developers). Little did I know then that I would later be given the even worse title "Process Manager".

A co-worker, after hearing about my mobile work, jokingly remarked that I should update my title.

After some heated discussions (most occuring within the confines of my overheated imagination), I proposed a new moniker, "Java Everywhere Architect" or JEA, that would be used to designate those enterprise developers who demonstrate substantial and in-depth knowledge of the architectural underpinnings of J2EE, J2SE, J2ME (and all other possible acronyms in between).

The developers who provide the "grunt" labor in constructing the monstrous undertakings of these new-fangled architects will likewise be known as "Java Everywhere Professionals" or JEPs (which sounds kinda like my dog's name, but that's another story...)

In the same light, companies that provide "Java Everywhere" solutions would be called JECs ("Java Everywhere Companies"), not to be confused with companies that are opposed to Java, also called JECs ("Java Everywhere Competitors").

You get the picture.

"Kalimantan", MBA, MS, and hopefully sometime soon, JEA.

Read: What it takes to go from Process Manager to "Java Everywhere Architect" (JEA)

Topic: Eclipse Book-Java Developers Guide Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Standing Still on a Runaway Treadmill

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use