The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Java Buzz Forum
AspectWerkz 0.8: Rock and Roll!

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Carlos Villela

Nickname: cvillela

Carlos Villela is a Java developer working mostly with web technologies and AOP.
AspectWerkz 0.8: Rock and Roll! Posted: Aug 15, 2003 11:00 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Java Buzz by Carlos Villela.
Original Post: AspectWerkz 0.8: Rock and Roll!
Feed Title: That's sooo '82!
Feed URL: http://www.jroller.com/rss/cv?catname=Technical
Feed Description: Carlos Villela's weblog. Everyday life, everyday software development, everyday musings.
Latest Java Buzz Posts
Latest Java Buzz Posts by Carlos Villela
Latest Posts From That's sooo '82!

Advertisement
I just finished building the shiny new version of AspectWerkz 0.8, and started looking at the code a bit more in depth (earlier I was just taking quick peaks at it to find out why some things work the way they do when something messes up with Inectis). I won't even try to describe the faces I did when looking at the code for the new online architecture, but most, if not all of them were a mix between catatonic, surprised, amazed and happy. Jonas and Alex are, definitely, the best duo in the OpenSource world out there. I mean it - look at it a bit deeper: it's sheer geniousness, expressed in clean, solid, working code.

After about half an hour of intense brain work to figure out some parts (my knowledge of VM internals rates as "pretty darn bad", so I had some trouble understanding what's going on), I couldn't find any expression better than this one to describe what I've just seen, and screamed to myself: this is pure rock'n'roll!

"Uh?" I hear you saying. Yeah, rock'n'roll, baby, rock'n'roll. Looking at some of the example code running immediately formed an image in my head of personified objects ripping off their boring grey suits, taking off their ties and shirts, showing off their tatoos and body piercings, yelling "fuck you!" at their bosses, hopping on Harley Davidsons and hitting the road, at the sound of something James Dean-ish, maybe Steppenwolf-ish or even Highway Star-ish.

Yeah, baby, your objects just turned wild and there's nothing you can do about it but hang around with them. They are free, now, and they don't want no revenge, they just want you to enjoy the show and be free, too. Free to think up previously unimaginable architectures for them, free to express yourself clearly with your code, free to stop repeating yourself, free to build up even more interesting and sound guitar solos, or, if you will, applications and tools.

But with freedom, comes power, and vice-versa. Your objects now are free to run around and smash those old and unfashioned limitations that your simple OOP and JVM provide with the delicacy of a crowbar. Just take care and make sure you don't end up doing something stupid with it, and enjoy the wind on your hair.

...and get ready to hit this road, cause, after you've met and understood what AOP does, there's no way back to the fluorescent lights and boring grey suits! ;)

Read: AspectWerkz 0.8: Rock and Roll!

Topic: Leaky Streams Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Displayable.isShown()-pauseApp J2ME Bug

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use