The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

PHP Buzz Forum
11 Frankfurt Summary 15

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
Alan Knowles

Nickname: alank

Alan Knowles is Freelance Developer, works on PHP extensions and PEAR.
11 Frankfurt Summary 15 Posted: Nov 11, 2004 8:36 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with PHP Buzz by Alan Knowles.
Original Post: 11 Frankfurt Summary 15
Feed Title: Smoking toooo much PHP
Feed URL: http://www.akbkhome.com/blog.php/RSS.xml
Feed Description: More than just a blog :)
Latest PHP Buzz Posts
Latest PHP Buzz Posts by Alan Knowles
Latest Posts From Smoking toooo much PHP

Advertisement
b9d Well, thanks to 20 hours traveling, my 1hr talk seemed to go reasonably well, given I was a little jetlagged/recoving from flu, and had to drink alot of water during it.

The slides are available as a openoffice presents file, The do point out a few of the more annoying gotcha's on PHP5, that appear to crop up. and discuss some of the more interesting issues, one I fumbled around at the talk was that I cant see any clean way to make current PHP4 packages E_STRICT safe, without changing the package name. (It's just going to shock too many people, even if the installer 'can' fix it)

The rest of the conference was taken up chatting to a few of the other developers (interestingly alot more PEAR developers, where around, and rather few PHP developers). An afternoon nap, trying to adjust breifly to European timezone, and a reasonable amount of drinking.

I did manage to go to a few of the talks, Mark Mathew's talk about Mysql Performance (part of the mysql com con) tuning was interesting, not only as I've been having huge problems with a few queries recently, but also that it had some focus on java and EJB's, which drew java developers into a crowd of PHP geeks. Rather than being an opportunity to convert, or argue the benifits of both languages, it showed that developers with any language suffer the same or similar real issues.

The Mysql talk was reasonably useful (although the App server stuff was obviously not that relivant), the mention of 'sar' for monitor and log server performance over time, and mention of index's. As I mentioned to Mark breifly after the talk, He could perhaps expanded the section about indexes and explain.

He seemed to skip over what seems to be an inhouse secret at mysql. When searching multiple columns of a table (or multiple ones in a join), mysql will only use one index.
eg.

SELECT a,b,c FROM d WHERE e > 5 and c <6 order by g

I used to thing a perfect index arangement for table d would be.
CREATE INDEX d_e ON d(e);
CREATE INDEX d_c ON d(c);
CREATE INDEX d_g ON d(g);
This, it turns out is completly useless..

You should create a multiple column index
CREATE INDEX d_q1 ON d(e,c,g);

The only other talk I caught before I had to fly out was harmut's PECL_Gen, which while not following PEAR standards, looks reasonably interesting. I think however, until it supports something that looks more like C for the body part of the code generation, the thought of writing code into an XML file just scares me..

Ah well, nice to get back to humidity and hot weather. (28C when I landed back in Hong Kong)

Read: 11 Frankfurt Summary 15

Topic: Smarty vs. PHPSavant Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Installing PHP and Apache

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use