The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Design Forum
Software Documentation

4 replies on 1 page. Most recent reply: Jul 6, 2004 11:18 PM by Matt Gerrans

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
vaishali

Nickname: vaish

Software Documentation Posted: May 19, 2004 10:49 PM
Reply to this message Reply
Advertisement
can anyone please suggest me good books or sites to guide me on how to begin with the documnetation for the software to be developed. Also i need the details of what all the documentation shud include, the best practices available.

Ashish Gauswami

Nickname: itsashish

Re: Software Documentation Posted: Jun 25, 2004 4:17 AM
Hi

I think there are two types software documentation.
1. internal documentation
2. external documentation

inter documentation involves source file headers, class headers, function header etc. in short code comments. you can have a good coding standards defined of your own to this thing. u will also find few on the web(search with coding standards).

external documentation involves system manual, user manual(help), installation manual, api docs (if u r dealing with java). again good templates for this is available on web.

other then this there other document exists with software development like SRS (System Requirement Specificaitons), SDS (System Design Specifications), Test Cases etc. good templates for this are also available on web.

ya that's it.

i hope this will make some sense.

Ashish

Shivana Gowda

Nickname: suvin

Re: Software Documentation Posted: Jul 4, 2004 11:22 PM
hai
i think the important documents are user document and devloppers document,
a user document is one which helps the user to use the software more like manual.
a devlopper document is one which explains about the strees points of the software, so that the different developper can read this understantd the code with little effort and involve himseft in developing its next version of the software.
about the deocumentation and its important there is software engineering book by byu Prof. Jalote , IIT kanpur check it out it might help you

Shivana Gowda

Nickname: suvin

comp.lang.scheme Posted: Jul 4, 2004 11:28 PM
hai if i develop some programming construct is it necessary to prove them there use in some application

Matt Gerrans

Nickname: matt

Re: Software Documentation Posted: Jul 6, 2004 11:18 PM
Joel has some nice concise treatises on the subject:

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/navLinks/fog0000000247.html

Look about a page down under the heading Painless Functional Specifications.

Flat View: This topic has 4 replies on 1 page
Topic: JVM's - anewarray instruction implementation Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Graph Matrix - Please help

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use