The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
It's even worse than I thought

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
It's even worse than I thought Posted: Mar 14, 2005 12:37 AM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: It's even worse than I thought
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

I implemented support for the mt API this afternoon - that was simple. I then made the mistake of looking at the Atom API. Gah. First up, I went to Blogger, since they supposedly support the Atom API now. Following the crumbs from their site (through a developer blog last updated in 2004, fills me with confidence), I ran across this draft of the spec. That's labelled 0.9, dated December 2003. Hmm, that seems old. So I wandered over (with trepidation) to the Atom Wiki, and found this IETF draft. Well. That's labelled 0.2 (now part of the IETF system), and is dated September 2004. Hmm again

So did Blogger implement the old rev? Who knows? They sure aren't saying - or if they are, they hid the instructions in a sub-basement somewhere. From there, I wandered back to the page explaining the latest draft from the IETF, wherein we learn to be afraid:

The current revision of the AtomAPI is contains quite a few changes from previous revisions. All of those changes have been talked about seperately, but when put together represent a fairly large change to the API. Here is Quick Reference for the AtomAPI which also highlights those changes.

So... do I bother dealing with whatever Blogger (Google) did, knowing full well that the more recent drafts have changed a lot? Do I not worry about that, since a working implementation will trump the fevered dreams of the Atom crowd? Do I just punt for now, figuring that it's mostly irrelevant?

Gads, at this point I hope that Microsoft comes out with an API. I must be desperate...

Read: It's even worse than I thought

Topic: Maybe a better posting api is needed Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Innumeracy

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use