The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Quick, we need a story line

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Quick, we need a story line Posted: Mar 13, 2005 3:15 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Quick, we need a story line
Feed Title: Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/rssBlogView.xml
Feed Description: James Robertson comments on Cincom Smalltalk, the Smalltalk development community, and IT trends and issues in general.
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Cincom Smalltalk Blog - Smalltalk with Rants

Advertisement

The media hasn't been happy with the ongoing fact checking that the Blogsphere provides, and they've been casting about for something negative to hang on it. Here's the latest bunch of crap hurled against the wall by Newsweek - they wonder why blogging is dominated by white males:

At a recent Harvard conference on bloggers and the media, the most pungent statement came from cyberspace. Rebecca MacKinnon, writing about the conference as it happened, got a response on the "comments" space of her blog from someone concerned that if the voices of bloggers overwhelm those of traditional media, "we will throw out some of the best... journalism of the 21st century." The comment was from Keith Jenkins, an African-American blogger who is also an editor at The Washington Post Magazine [a sister publication of NEWSWEEK]. "It has taken 'mainstream media' a very long time to get to [the] point of inclusion," Jenkins wrote. "My fear is that the overwhelmingly white and male American blogosphere... will return us to a day where the dialogue about issues was a predominantly white-only one."

Oh please. One of the joys of the net is the "on the internet, no one know if you're a dog" phenomenon. This all seems to stem from the Technorati top 100 blogs list. You know what I notice about that list? It seems to be a pretty eclectic mix of opinion, across politics, technology, media - and a bunch of other topics. Compare that to the MSM, where I can get homogeneous group think without regard to the outlet I pick. I neither know nor care whether the top 100 listed there are black, white, asian (what have you). What I'm happy about is the intellectual diversity shown.

That's sadly lacking in, say, Newsweek - where I can find a nicely homogenized set of ideas every week. Here's a tip for Jenkins - when you find some people who don't all subscribe to the same worldview, maybe you'll stop bleeding readers. In the meantime, you can watch me not renew my subscription to Newsweek - I no longer need to read it in order to know what the content will be each week. That's kind of a problem.

Read: Quick, we need a story line

Topic: Dev Build Issues Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: Go away now, and please die

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use