The Artima Developer Community
Sponsored Link

Agile Buzz Forum
Flippant Tests

0 replies on 1 page.

Welcome Guest
  Sign In

Go back to the topic listing  Back to Topic List Click to reply to this topic  Reply to this Topic Click to search messages in this forum  Search Forum Click for a threaded view of the topic  Threaded View   
Previous Topic   Next Topic
Flat View: This topic has 0 replies on 1 page
James Robertson

Nickname: jarober61

David Buck, Smalltalker at large
Flippant Tests Posted: Feb 3, 2005 5:00 PM
Reply to this message Reply

This post originated from an RSS feed registered with Agile Buzz by James Robertson.
Original Post: Flippant Tests
Feed Title: Travis Griggs - Blog
Feed URL: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/travis-rss.xml
Feed Description: This TAG Line is Extra
Latest Agile Buzz Posts
Latest Agile Buzz Posts by James Robertson
Latest Posts From Travis Griggs - Blog

Advertisement
A couple weeks back, Ron Jeffries was playing with VisualWorks and I got him playing with SUnitToo/ExtraRBForSUnitToo. One of the things he talked about was the "two browser" approach, having one browser open for your test case and another for your testee.

At the same time, we were having a discussion about how unique Key Tech is in putting Tests right along side the classes, in the same package. For us, what this means, is that we can switch back and forth between a testee and its test case pretty quick. They're almost always right there together. For various reasons, not everyone else is in a position to do as we have done, and one loss there is the extra navigation to go back and forth between the two.

Some of our guys use RBTabs and will have one buffer open for the test case and the other for the testee. This type of approach would be handy for those who don't put their test cases by the testees.

Then I had a little light bulb experience. What if you could manage that with a shortcut key? Here's the mindset. I'm working on a testee. For reasons sundry, I decide I need to look at the testcase, but I don't want to keep navigating. I'd like to have a new buffer for it. Or if I have a buffer for it already, then just switch to that one. And the converse of course. So, there's no an ALT-T shortcut with the latest version (1) of ExtraRBForSUnitToo (the tool counterpart for SUnitToo). I played with it for just a few minutes and found I really liked it. I don't have to memorize that the test is in buffer 1 and the testee is in buffer 2 so that I can use the alt-number shortcuts. And it creates them as I need them. Let me know what you think. It should work fine even if you are using RBTabs.

BTW, if you read through this thinking "what's a buffer?", I'd like to know. Technically, they're called "Views" in the VW IDE, and I guess I could've used that term.

Read: Flippant Tests

Topic: Wow Previous Topic   Next Topic Topic: LA area STUG

Sponsored Links

Google
  Web Artima.com   

Copyright © 1996-2019 Artima, Inc. All Rights Reserved. - Privacy Policy - Terms of Use